Providing BI videos to law enforcement - need advice!

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Law enforcement is following up on a BI clip I emailed them from my phone. For chain-of-custody reasons they need to send a digital forensics officer to my place to retrieve the videos from the server...

Firstly, is there a way to manually insert a flag or alert into a clip? Motion sensing did not trigger an alert, but since I record everything, the event was captured. If I could insert an alert it would be helpful and save time.

Secondly, what steps should I expect the officer will take to extract legally-sufficient video from my BI server? Is there a best-practices for this, or other things I should be aware of?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you already familiar with how to set start frame, set end frame, and export? Hopefully others can answer your question about a flag or alert, or you may have to make a note of the time of the occurrence. Is it a long clip?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.

I'd note the time and date, go to the beginning of the clip, look over the DFO's shoulder and show him/her how to go forward to the area of concern, show them how to select the portion that makes them happy and show them how/where to export as MP4, let them put on their flash drive or whatever.

I'd let the DFO do it all, I wouldn't touch the mouse or keyboard, just look over their shoulder and instruct/advise regarding BI, based on them telling you what they want.

Hopefully they won't overly complicate a relatively simple process, at least as BI is concerned.

If they're not happy with that, export the entire clip and let them justify being titled with "DFO" and expend their time, not yours....might be what they insist on legally, I dunno.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I forget. Does BI have the option to substitute the "Benny Hill" music for the audio track, or am I imagining that?

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Law enforcement is following up on a BI clip I emailed them from my phone. For chain-of-custody reasons they need to send a digital forensics officer to my place to retrieve the videos from the server...

Firstly, is there a way to manually insert a flag or alert into a clip? Motion sensing did not trigger an alert, but since I record everything, the event was captured. If I could insert an alert it would be helpful and save time.

Secondly, what steps should I expect the officer will take to extract legally-sufficient video from my BI server? Is there a best-practices for this, or other things I should be aware of?
Let the officer copy the entire original BVR file off your hard drive onto a flash drive. The original, unmodified, unexported, file with all it's metadata (time stamps, etc.) intact.

They can then download Blue Iris and install the demo to do what they wish with the file. If the demo expires, they can uninstall and reinstall and get another 15 days.

You should have minimal if any involvement with the process. Just supervise the officer and show them how to locate the file if needed.