PSA: Imagine a world where companies decide to release a new product every two years instead of every year in the interest to cut e-waste

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great for a product to have minimum two year life cycle before being discontinued?

Or perhaps,

Allow our electronics to be upgraded every year or every other year by simply following a modular design?

We almost had that going with upgradeable computer components, but more and more things are being soldered and made out of mostly recyclable components

Imagine a world where e-waste doesn't end up in the landfill for Wall-E to binge eat

If companies do this eventually, imagine the consequences it will have in flow of commerce :facepalm:

Just an idea....

btw - yes, that is Wall-E inspecting and analyzing a bra :rofl:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Would not Moore's Law" be less?
As a result, that would be true, but that law seems to be flattening now, least product launches would be exciting if new products were release every other year instead of every year

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My wish?
That web site designers where you go to pay 5 or 10 online bills every month or your own bank's site where you pay all 10 bills would QUIT "UPGRADING" or "IMPROVING" their sites every few months...about the time I get used to how thy work, how to pay a bill, print a receipt, etc. they change stuff!
Argghhh!

o_O :banghead: :drool:

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Imagine a world where the cost of raw materials included the cost of recycling them as a taxation, or companies were legally responsible for all the goods out as well as goods in, ie waste.
Very soon you'd find things being made from recyclable/bio degradable materials if companies were legally and financially responsible for the entire product lifecycle including end of life.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey, Thanksgiving is right around the corner, Zoom meeting anyone? :rofl:

^^.
Brings new meaning to the phrase "...having some friends over for dinner." :highfive: :puke:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Let's hope he doesn't pardon the country, otherwise China and Russia will declare victory and will send over their IC Ballistic Missiles and Hypersonic Missiles respectively. :(

Apparently, military drills are already being held off the coast of Japan

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great for a product to have minimum two year life cycle before being discontinued?

Or perhaps,

Allow our electronics to be upgraded every year or every other year by simply following a modular design?

We almost had that going with upgradeable computer components, but more and more things are being soldered and made out of mostly recyclable components

Imagine a world where e-waste doesn't end up in the landfill for Wall-E to binge eat

If companies do this eventually, imagine the consequences it will have in flow of commerce :facepalm:

Just an idea....

btw - yes, that is Wall-E inspecting and analyzing a bra :rofl:
I remember when iPhones used to be this way. Now they make 3 new versions of everything every year...for nothing more than "faster" "processing" (on a phone?) and "better" cameras. It's a phukking phone!!! How wasteful, naive, and ignorant mankind is.

It's time for kids to stop snapshitting and tik dikking each other. Your lives aren't that interesting, nobody gives a shit!

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
europe or some countries has laws which are already passed and starts for products sold next year. there are plans to make this all over the EU next year.

any company have to support their products for min. 3 years (or even more, have to look it up(. that means software updates and repairs.

so there is no need to buy a new product, because the old one needs to be supported longer time.

also EU have right to repair laws , not sure when they start or already passed.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How is it that EU gets a lot more done rightfully versus the US? :rofl: The last time I made a pitstop in the EU (pre-Brexit), I was more comfortable eating a quick McDonalds meal; something I vowed I would never do in the states due to artificial and heavily carcinogenic ingredients :facepalm:

europe or some countries has laws which are already passed and starts for products sold next year. there are plans to make this all over the EU next year.

any company have to support their products for min. 3 years (or even more, have to look it up(. that means software updates and repairs.

so there is no need to buy a new product, because the old one needs to be supported longer time.

also EU have right to repair laws , not sure when they start or already passed.