PTZ camera recommendation for remote site

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
Can someone recommend a PTZ camera with a good zoom and night image for a remote site.
Will have power, so standard POE setup with a NVR and 4G modem router.
Will be mounted on a tall shed (at least 4m/12ft high) without weather cover
What would be a good brand/model in 2023? Currently brand agnostic, but something with a good NVR compatibility for the future

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that PTZ cameras are not the "one camera to do everything" devices that people want to make them out to be. The more you focus in on a single subject, the more likely you are going to miss other important activity in the area. This is why most of us use other PTZs in conjunction with other cameras to provide layered coverage. You also don't want to set PTZ up to cycle through a lot of different set view points because PTZ cameras have a very finite life on their motors and having the camera cycle between a few views every few seconds will burn through that life expectancy very quickly.

If anything, it's the non-PTZ cameras that are likely the most important cameras in the system. They can provide a lot of coverage while the PTZ can attempt to get more detailed images of a specific subject, but depending on the tracking performance of the PTZ, it might even fail at that task sometimes. They can also be set up as spotter cameras that can trigger the PTZ to move to a specific view whenever their is motion in that view, without having to program the PTZ to constantly cycle between views.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that PTZ cameras are not the "one camera to do everything" devices that people want to make them out to be. The more you focus in on a single subject, the more likely you are going to miss other important activity in the area. This is why most of us use other PTZs in conjunction with other cameras to provide layered coverage. You also don't want to set PTZ up to cycle through a lot of different set view points because PTZ cameras have a very finite life on their motors and having the camera cycle between a few views every few seconds will burn through that life expectancy very quickly.

If anything, it's the non-PTZ cameras that are likely the most important cameras in the system. They can provide a lot of coverage while the PTZ can attempt to get more detailed images of a specific subject, but depending on the tracking performance of the PTZ, it might even fail at that task sometimes. They can also be set up as spotter cameras that can trigger the PTZ to move to a specific view whenever their is motion in that view, without having to program the PTZ to constantly cycle between views.
Thank you
There is only 1 gate to the property so I wanted something that will detect motion, zoom in and track the object it detects. Plus something I can rotate at will if I wanted to "look around" the property to see how tall the grass is now =)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you
There is only 1 gate to the property so I wanted something that will detect motion, zoom in and track the object it detects. Plus something I can rotate at will if I wanted to "look around" the property to see how tall the grass is now =)
That is a good use for a PTZ camera - trying to focus on a "bottleneck" vs trying to get one camera to cover a wide area "because it moves"....

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What would be a good midrange camera? Not looking at the $500+ high end cams. Just something decent