PTZ camera w/ a decent sensor size (1/1.8")?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a PTZ camera that has a decent sensor size? A lot of them are 1/2.7", like the Dahua DH-SD1A404XB. When I compare night time shots from the DH-SD1A404XB to my IPC-T5442TM-AS that has a 1/1.8" sensor, it's a huge difference. Looking for something in the same price range (~$160) or less.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You might want to rethink your budget.

haha, wow. Is that really as close as it gets to the a reasonably priced 1/1.8" sensor? Dahua has 1/2.7" PTZ for $170, but if you want 1/1.8" sensor, you have to hop up to $1k+? Those WizMind series are super high frame rates though, so totoally different class of hardware. I just want a 15fps normal PTZ home security camera with a slightly bigger sensor.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua's 5442 series 1/1.8" turret and bullet cams are ~$200 each so PTZ's will be at least double that and since they add other features - 3-5x that price typically.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua's 5442 series 1/1.8" turret and bullet cams are ~$200 each so PTZ's will be at least double that and since they add other features - 3-5x that price typically.
I guess I'm ok with ~400 range. Really just looking to pay for the features I want rather than pay extra for things I don't, like high frame rate. I was hoping for them to thread the feature set a bit more.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess I'm ok with ~400 range. Really just looking to pay for the features I want rather than pay extra for things I don't, like high frame rate. I was hoping for them to thread the feature set a bit more.
Realistically they aren't selling PTZ's with the 1/1.8" sensor to a price sensitive market and the market they are selling them into wants those features, even if you don't. If you are ok with $400 is then why not get two or even three 5442 turrets? A PTZ can only point in one direction at a time.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Realistically they aren't selling PTZ's with the 1/1.8" sensor to a price sensitive market and the market they are selling them into wants those features, even if you don't. If you are ok with $400 is then why not get two or even three 5442 turrets? A PTZ can only point in one direction at a time.
Haha, I thought it was funny you just mention that as a solution like it's no big deal. Cameras are aesthetically not great, even for someone who wants to monitor stuff. A couple here and there is alright. One at each corner of the house isn't a great look.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Haha, I thought it was funny you just mention that as a solution like it's no big deal. Cameras are aesthetically not great, even for someone who wants to monitor stuff. A couple here and there is alright. One at each corner of the house isn't a great look.
For me it isn't a big deal, but keep in mind you are preaching to a community where some people have five on their front door alone, and 16 cam systems and up are not unusual.

If the aesthetics of their visibility concern you, colour matching is always an option to reduce the visibility of the cameras, though visibility adds to the deterrent factor.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a PTZ camera that has a decent sensor size? A lot of them are 1/2.7", like the Dahua DH-SD1A404XB. When I compare night time shots from the DH-SD1A404XB to my IPC-T5442TM-AS that has a 1/1.8" sensor, it's a huge difference. Looking for something in the same price range (~$160) or less.
1/1,8cmos ptz only on some ultra smart models, cheapest one is SD5A425XA-HNR around 680usd.
Then others all are 1200usd+
SD1A404XB-GNR is a lite model, can't expect too much on this small camera.
25X zoom PTZ for low light use the 2mp SD49225XA-HNR, this is good for low light place, but if your place not very dark, can use the 4mp SD49425XB-HNR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - larger sensor = larger components, larger lens, larger motors, larger case... so do expect a 1/1.8" PTZ to cost more than a 1/2.7" PTZ...

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I like the turret form factor since it is less noticeable that the bullets. They do not scream CAMMERA! But I would take three turrets over one huge PTZ and it's mount any day. While I lust for one of those big ass PTZ's, like @bradner has in his avatar, I just can't justify hanging it on my house.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I like the turret form factor since it is less noticeable that the bullets. They do not scream CAMMERA! But I would take three turrets over one huge PTZ and it's mount any day. While I lust for one of those big ass PTZ's, like @bradner has in his avatar, I just can't justify hanging it on my house.
LOL, not me - I wish I had one as big as the Oblivion drones. BTW, my PTZ's sound just like them in the movie. Imagine if we had paint ball guns (Canada) or real guns (Texas) that could be deployed like in the pic below!!!!

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LOL, not me - I wish I had one as big as the Oblivion drones. BTW, my PTZ's sound just like them in the movie. Imagine if we had paint ball guns (Canada) or real guns (Texas) that could be deployed like in the pic below!!!!

One day soon I hope, but the Sunflower Drone is the closest I've seen so far. I'd love one, but they are illegal in Australia.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Base system with I think 3 sunflower sensors is $10,000 .. ouch

Looks like it has a Sony IMX385 1/2" sensor which is about 3 years old...?