PTZ Camera's PT Motor Frozen - Needed a Power Recycle

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Had an odd occurrence yesterday. Noticed that the SD49225T-HN PTZ camera I've had for a while now was recording and playing in B&W all day, and that the preset zooms on some motion events were not pointing at the required location, just zooming straight ahead.

The pan and tilt would not respond to manual commands, only the zoom. Restarting the camera in BI returned neither color nor the motor functions.

Luckily, it was able to recover after I had unplugged the Ethernet cable from the switch, and re-powered the unit.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had an odd occurrence yesterday. Noticed that the SD49225T-HN PTZ camera I've had for a while now was recording and playing in B&W all day, and that the preset zooms on some motion events were not pointing at the required location, just zooming straight ahead.

The pan and tilt would not respond to manual commands, only the zoom. Restarting the camera in BI returned neither color nor the motor functions.

Luckily, it was able to recover after I had unplugged the Ethernet cable from the switch, and re-powered the unit.
Is the power supply for that cam running on a good Backup UPS? Momentary power glitches can cause all sorts of issue's.
Restarting in BI simply restarts the connection to the cam, it does not actually reboot the camera.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If what looney says is true about BI 'restart' only reconnecting, then you can do a better restart within the camera's WebUI. Full power cycle is the ultimate, but I think the WebUI forces a soft restart of the internal OS, which includes the PTZ health check process during bootup.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If what looney says is true about BI 'restart' only reconnecting, then you can do a better restart within the camera's WebUI. Full power cycle is the ultimate, but I think the WebUI forces a soft restart of the internal OS, which includes the PTZ health check process during bootup.
Uh, it's true. It takes 5 seconds to test for yourself.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Happened to my SD6AE240V-HNI here in Upstate NY during a freezing rain event. I was able to review the playback and watch exactly when it occurred. Recording from the mic sounded like the gear train "slipped" and all 6 presets were off after that. I assume cams of this quality have safeties in place. My home point was off, not returning and tracking and leaving events on my timeline. Fortunately, the SD6 has a PTZ reset (SD59225 may have too, I didn't look), and that immediately fixed it and put the presets back to my settings. No need to reboot, but could have easily enough as a last resort.

SD