PTZ control in VLC stream.. Possible?

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before but i can't find anything in search.

I'm setting up an extra computer to view live IP CAM streams. OS will be a Linux distro, I usually use Ubuntu or mint. No recording or motion detection needed, just live streams of 2-4 cameras. Two of which are PTZ. I like using VLC as the stream viewer but have never used it for PTZ cameras, is there a reasonably simple method to control PTZ cams through VLC?

Or will I be stuck using something like zoneminder?

Thanks

Reaction score
Right. I've read a lengthy forum where a guy wrote scripts to do motion detection and such in vlc (who knows if it's legit of course) so was hoping there was an add-on out there somewhere. Or at least a standalone program to control with viewing via VLC.

Considering using surveillance room add-on in Kodi now. Anybody have experience with this?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have previously used Kodi to connect to RTSP streams without any problems. I didn't even know there was an specific addon for viewing IP cameras.

Reaction score
No idea on the functionality of it, just learned about it last night. Will give it a shot as soon as my power supply arrives and I get this thing going.

As far as vlc goes, I found the thread I'd read about ptz+vlc.. was from 13 years ago. It looks like the guy wrote something up to control the cam by point and click. Too bad that never got off the ground if real, would be a slick setup.

Link:

PTZ control module for VLC