PTZ Dome

wxjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm looking into PTZ 4x or 25x dome cameras and wanted to know what you all think about other vendors?

Is Hikvision cameras the way to go or Dahua ? or amcrest ? Axis ?

What good experiences have you had with your PTZ ?

Budget around $500 - $550

Thanks

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The search bar is your friend....

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As mentioned in your other thread, in my opinion I would skip any with a dome if you're mounting outside and/or in dark areas. Go turret style like pictured in my avatar. Hik and Dahua are some of the top ones, however you can get generic ebay versions for $100-150.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
What drives your decision for a dome cam vs a turret?

I believe there's a 4MP version now but still uses a 1/2.8 chip instead of something more appropriate for higher performance needed at night for 4MP like a 1/1.8 chip. Ask @EMPIRETECANDY about the status of it.

Last edited:

wxjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What drives your decision for a dome cam vs a turret?

I believe there's a 4MP version now but still uses a 1/2.8 chip instead of something more appropriate for higher performance need for 4MP like a 1/1.8 chip. Ask @EMPIRETECANDY about the status of it.

Great question.. I want the ability to auto track moving objects. day and night and hopefull get a few plates here and there. i would need a PTZ for this.. The dome also makes it kinda hard to see where the lens is tracking unless you walk right up to it..

This would be good but would stick out too much..

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As mentioned in your other thread, in my opinion I would skip any with a dome if you're mounting outside and/or in dark areas. Go turret style like pictured in my avatar. Hik and Dahua are some of the top ones, however you can get generic ebay versions for $100-150.
Why would you avoid a PTZ dome for usage outside or in dark areas?
And I certainly would avoid generic non branded 100$ pts cams on ebay. You get what you pay for especially on ebay.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
@wxjoe can you post a pic of your mounting location from about 50+ ft away to give us an idea. I fear for your dissatisfaction when you end up noticing the inevitable glare off the dome and eventual UV damage to the dome. I don't have a PTZ yet but consideration of the "obnoxiousness" and "outrage" by homeowners is worth considering but it depends on where it's mounted and how much noise it might make.

wxjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@wxjoe can you post a pic of your mounting location from about 50+ ft away to give us an idea. I fear for your dissatisfaction when you end up noticing the inevitable glare off the dome and eventual UV damage to the dome. I don't have a PTZ yet but consideration of the "obnoxiousness" and "outrage" by homeowners is worth considering but it depends on where it's mounted and how much noise it might make.
I can do that later.. but for now i have a 8.5" over hang "soffet" that it will be under about 12-15 feet off the ground.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Why would you avoid a PTZ dome for usage outside or in dark areas?
And I certainly would avoid generic non branded 100$ pts cams on ebay. You get what you pay for especially on ebay.
Always seem to be issues with glare and IR reflection with domes, in my opinion. I have a generic ebay 20x PTZ that's been running fine since 2016, its a bit clunky and has some issues now and then but it works.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Always seem to be issues with glare and IR reflection with domes, in my opinion. I have a generic ebay 20x PTZ that's been running fine since 2016, its a bit clunky and has some issues now and then but it works.
My DS-2DE4A425IW-DE works amazing well and have no glare issues as it is mounted under a white soffit. Maybe your set up needs to be tweaked to prevent glare.

And @wxjosaid hes willing spend up to $500 for a camera. I'm sure he doesnt want to settle for a clunky non functioning off brand ebay cam.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My DS-2DE4A425IW-DE works amazing well and have no glare issues as it is mounted under a white soffit. Maybe your set up needs to be tweaked to prevent glare.

And @wxjosaid hes willing spend up to $500 for a camera. I'm sure he doesnt want to settle for a clunky non functioning off brand ebay cam.
Just giving options. I don't own any domes. Back on topic.