PTZ location recommendation needed.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty happy with my installed cameras and locations. I've got all the entry points to the house covered with fixed Starlight units, and they are working well. (Dahua 5231R-Z Varifocal units.) My intent with the cameras was to cover all the entry points to the house, not provide a wide exterior overview of the property. To that end, the cams are all set and aimed to provide the best possible coverage of choke points and allow identification of anyone that approaches any of the entry points to the house.

I'm now looking to add a PTZ to the system. Mainly to supplement what I have now, as well as allowing me to check areas that are not specifically covered by the existing fixed Cams. There have been times when it would have been nice to be able to zoom in a little closer on things that are farther out or check an area that wasn't quite covered.

I'm looking at adding a SD49225T-HM PTZ to the system. What I'm not really sure about is where to put it. In the diagram below, the basic camera locations are shown as green. (The markers do not match actual coverage, they are just general indicators of position.) The orange bars on the top and the left are the areas with the most traffic. (The bottom and the right sides really don't have public access, so they are less of a concern currently.)

My initial thought was to mount a PTZ either centered on the front face of the building on the left with a gooseneck mount (Right of Camera #200), or potentially on a corner mount bracket on the left front edge of that building. (Left of Cam #200) From either of those positions, I have a clear line of sight to the gate (160' from the front of the building.) as well as a clear line of sight to the front door (Where Cam 202 is located). Both of those areas are already covered with Fixed cameras, but I'm limited as to how close I can get with those. I figured that would also allow some viewing of the parking lot on the left side of my property. (We often get folks out there at all hours of the night doing donuts and shooting off fireworks. So being able to check quickly and see what's going on would be nice.)

I know that some of the trees out front are going to limit sight lines, and while some of those trees are going to be removed or trimmed back at some point in the future, I don't want to lock myself into a location that would require removing stuff right now if I don't have to. :)

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a better more logical location for a PTZ to go? Is there anything I'm missing? Since I don't currently have a PTZ, I figured it might be smart to check with some of the folks that do before I commit to the process and order the unit. :)

Thanks so much!

CamOverview.jpg

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have mine on a corner mount and like it cuz you can see two sides of the building. But in your case,it looks like those trees would be a problem seeing the gate and the drive. Hard to tell from the pic. So if it's important for you to see the gate go with the center of the building. If you don't think think the trees will be a problem the corner mount will give you more coverage.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm actually replacing Cam 200 with a Z12 so I can tighten up the frame on the gate itself. I'm planning on walking the site this weekend and taking a look at angles and visibilty again. I'm leaning towards the corner mount right now for a couple of reasons. I've had kids hop the wall at the back of the parking lot and the corner mount would give me a view of that. A corner mount would also be a little easier to work on. Its tall, but not as tall. Corner is 14', peak at the center is 21' and a goosneck would push it even higher. (And I'm not a fan of heights.)

Thanks for the comments. A PTZ is a fairly decent expense. I'd like to try to get it right the first time. ;)