Ptz on fire truck

Firecam

n3wb
Reaction score
I need a little assurance w hardware. I'm looking to install a ptz cam on the bucket of my fire companies ladder truck for remote viewing on the ground at large for scenes so command can get a birds eye view of a hazardous scene .

I plan on using a power line Ethernet adapter to the 110v power outlets in the bucket of the ladder to the power outlets on the base of the truck since running extra wires up the ladder is impossible, to establish a closed network within truck with a wireless router installed in a compartment.

I want at least a 20x ptz cam with ir capability for nighttime to mount on the end of th ladder. I plan on using an android tablet for portable viewing on the ground connected to the wireless router so an app lik milestone to control it is a must.

I would also like a monitor mounted connected to it but without a computer or anything connected to it, just be able to turn It on to the camera but I'm thinking that's not possible

Does my setup seem plausible?

justadude

n3wb
Reaction score
This sounds like a really cool project. I can't answer all of your questions, but regarding the "view only" monitor in the truck, if you're familiar with linux then you might be able to pull it off by using a Raspberry Pi 2. You can use omxplayer to connect and view a RTSP stream from the camera. You would set up a script that contains the line 'omxplayer -n -1 --live rtsp://ipaddress/urlforthecamera' that runs on start up so when the Pi receives power, it'll automatically connect to the stream after it boots. All you would need is the Pi and a monitor with hdmi input (or DVI, and use hdmi > DVI adapter).

Alot of testing would need to be done though, if there are throughput problems from using the power line adapters you might end up with packet loss and a bad picture.

dalepa

Reaction score
Powerline may work, just need to test it. Powerline and a Small POE keeps the wiring easier. The 20x PTX cams are huge, you may want to also look at the Huisun 10x which is much smaller.

Seems to me like a drone would be a better solution...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Powerline may work, just need to test it. Powerline and a Small POE keeps the wiring easier. The 20x PTX cams are huge, you may want to also look at the Huisun 10x which is much smaller.

Seems to me like a drone would be a better solution...
You can get a 20x mini speed dome which will be much better quality when zooming in than the Huisuns. 5" big, so not massive but cost more.

View-only, why not login to the camera using Internet Explorer? Simple and will let you use the PTZ function? Or you can live-view the stream using VLC player.

dalepa

Reaction score
Another consideration is camera stabilization when zooming, Even 10x requires the camera to be completely stable or the image will be very hard to watch. If the ladder moves, it will be very hard to view.

I still voting for the done solution, seems like a perfect for a firestation. :)

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW, my TP Link Powerline network and POE did NOT work on the Huisun...the cam simply powered up, shows the scene, and continues to reset, going through the rotation cycle over and over. Same arrangement worked splendid on the Hikvision, so I tried again with a simple wifi adapter on the same outlet..still no go, same response. I suspect the PTZ function is the source of the issue, since the Hik was fine.

Edit: I agree with Dan, the drone route would actually be easier (and ultimately more fun), imho.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can get a 20x mini speed dome which will be much better quality when zooming in than the Huisuns. 5" big, so not massive but cost more.

View-only, why not login to the camera using Internet Explorer? Simple and will let you use the PTZ function? Or you can live-view the stream using VLC player.
Do you have a link to the 5" 20x mini speed dome please Del Boy?

dalepa

Reaction score
Does TPlink make a powerline POE? Are you sure it's not your PS?

Huisun needs more power, I also had Huisun power issues until I started using POE+ adapter and now a POE+ switch

FWIW, my TP Link Powerline network and POE did NOT work on the Huisun...the cam simply powered up, shows the scene, and continues to reset, going through the rotation cycle over and over. Same arrangement worked splendid on the Hikvision, so I tried again with a simple wifi adapter on the same outlet..still no go, same response. I suspect the PTZ function is the source of the issue, since the Hik was fine.

Edit: I agree with Dan, the drone route would actually be easier (and ultimately more fun), imho.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dan, I'm using that Neewer too...so I don't think it was a power issue, more of a comm issue. The resets come after it settles down few minutes after initialization, and seem instant when I attempt to PTZ. Dunno about TPLink..I'll look'em up and see. :)

edit: Nope..they have EITHER Powerline adapters (some with wifi) or PoE stuff, independent of Powerline tech...maybe another brand does.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
An R/C drone really would be an easier option.

But also, I might suggest using an ubiquiti nanostation loco m2 (pointed toward the ground) as a simple WiFi access point connected directly to the PTZ camera. Then you can connect a tablet directly to the ubiquiti radio and not need to have any networking equipment down inside the truck.