PTZ or no PTZ

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two 5231R-Z and a 5231R-Z12 facing the street. One of each is installed, on each side of the garage door and the Z12, at the far corner of the garage, for LPR duty.
My question is, there is a good idea, to add a PTZ to this setup, or it would be overkill?
Basically I would like to get a PTZ, and I'm trying to convince myself.
I'm considering a SD49225T-HN.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
PTZ only ever is a good choice if you have someone manning it on a regular basis. By that I mean, a person is going to log into the camera and operate the PTZ functions to accomplish some special tracking and monitoring task. If you just want cameras to see things and record things, it is better to add more fixed cameras. You can install about 5 fixed cameras for the cost of one PTZ, and therefore see 5 times more with the fixed cameras.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a shot of my house. Where it would be possible to install one of these PTZ? I don't really see where I could install one. Under the roof,there is only a 4" angled depth.

Attachments

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5231R-Z, that is on the left side of the garage, has a view only up to that brick "wall". The 5231R-Z12, is for LPR.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually, I think that SD52C225U-HNI should be a better camera and has auto tracking as well.
I'm thinking, how about, if I make a few inches bigger install surface, to act as a shade for the camera, and this way it would be protected from sun and rain?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You know I used to say that a ptz is only good if you can be at it frequently. Tracking really isn't that great to rely on. But you know, all these years with my analog ptz, even with some IR's burned out and front dome haze having set in, I still appreciate having it. I don't sit and operate it. I have it set to run a group of preset positions when my front door has motion detection and it's great for that. And bottom line, if I'm sitting in the house and I hear something out there, even no particular trouble but just something going on, I can look wherever I want and as close as I want. If I'm viewing remotely, it's great too. It's a very functional thing having a ptz as an addition to solid fixed cameras covering everything well. My opinion, get one. Two things though, don't mount it on a wall where you do not wish to hear it. You will hear a ptz move from inside the house. And two, get one no less than 27 or 30 times zoom. 12x zoom sucks. You're going through the trouble, get max zoom. Good luck.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'm thinking about 25x one. The problem that I'm facing, that I don't know where would I mount it.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
How about just under the upper eave of the garage? You don't have many options. And frankly, if you're not attached to the tropical tree in front, it should go. Having your front door that covered isn't good from a security standpoint.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
All these PTZ cameras are huge. I guess, that is my best spot. I'm just worried, what my wife will say about it.
Thanks

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The other thing to consider is that every PTZ model I've used, from various manufacturers, always has a fairly tight view angle (long focal length) even at its most zoomed out. It's probably equivalent to something like a 6mm minimum focal length, 50 degree horizontal FoV. That makes it tough to watch anything near the camera, they are better at watching things far away.

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My question is, there is a good idea, to add a PTZ to this setup, or it would be overkill?
I bought the SD59-23OU-HNI ($610US at the time), and it's the one regret I have out of close to twenty cameras from Andy. As adamg stated, (the better choice?) is multiple cameras covering the area. Way cheaper and much better overall coverage.

Rather than repeat my antidotes, you can take a look at this thread which has a lot of useful information.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have multiple cameras, see the picture, but I don't have a toy to play with :)

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't. I will look into it, thanks.
I don't need a lot of zoom, I don't care watching, what is doing my sixth neighbor, or see a bird a mile away.
I care about, what is going on around my house.
I have a 5231R-Z12 for LPR and that is good enough for me.

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a nice camera, but it does not have auto tracking. I'm kind of set to have that feature.