PTZ preset shifting

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I’ve got an SD49225XA-HNR ptz that has started shifting its preset slightly. Before I take the camera down, has this happened to any of you? I don’t think the clamps on the pole are loose but, I can’t think of another reason for it to shift. Thanks for any explanation or experience you can offer!

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve only had it mounted at its current location about two weeks. I thought I was slipping at first. The problem is that the images are off from left to right horizontally the same way each time I reset the preset. I would’ve expected them to be off vertically. Thank you for replying. I may shoot Andy an email. It sucks because it’s already mounted and weather tight.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate but it is indeed slipping and a factory fault well documented on here.
I will Guarantee you it can not be fixed by firmware updates as it is a hardware fault and should be exchanged under warranty.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Another way to test my theory if you can is listen to the PTZ it makes a horrible noise when it does slip. Lots of information and video's on here proving this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another way to test my theory if you can is listen to the PTZ it makes a horrible noise when it does slip. Lots of information and video's on here proving this.
Only from you LOL :lmao: (just giving you some ribbing as I know you have well documented in the 49225 thread your issues).

But I don't recall anyone experiencing it since yours?

I have two of them and they are rock solid with no shifting.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Only from you LOL :lmao: (just giving you some ribbing as I know you have well documented in the 49225 thread your issues).

But I don't recall anyone experiencing it since yours?

I have two of them and they are rock solid with no shifting.
I know the that camera inside out as you are well aware and there was quite a few members on here who also reported the same issue with loosing presets so YES definatley other camera's had this same fault and is documented.
I purchased a UK one and same as you never a bit of trouble and still as of today still the best PTZ Dahua made for performance and budget.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, it’s an SD49425XB-HNR. I referenced the wrong number. I’m not sure what sound it makes as it seems to take hours for it to shift. I’ll try a reset but a message is being sent. Also, would you mind linking your thread?

Attachments

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, it’s an SD49425XB-HNR. I referenced the wrong number. I’m not sure what sound it makes as it seems to take hours for it to shift. I’ll try a reset but a message is being sent. Also, would you mind linking your thread?
Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus | IP Cam Talk

I think Arjun & TH182 was 2 members I know of with the same slipping problem.

Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus | Page 14 | IP Cam Talk

Last edited:

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found them by searching the thread. I reset to factory defaults and just set a couple of presets. It is the 4mp and not the 2mp. I messaged Andy as well. I was seeing IVS lines slipping and motion zones in BI moving too.

Edit: It’s definitely slipping. The camera is still doing the same thing. My FOV hasn’t changed as I’m still able to see the exact same image on either side of the mount pole used as a reference. The only thing changing is the location of the presets.

Last edited:

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ll post over there as well. I only did a google search and couldn’t find anything related. It does suck because the line is buried and now I’ve got to fish the line back through the pole, weatherproof it and set it up again. As well as removing and reinstalling the sd card.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY
I deleted the camera from BI and used the cameras gui to monitor the preset shift. I did a reset to factory default and powered down the unit. It’s definitely moving the presets and gets worse over time. I need the tracking feature because it monitors my driveway. So, I’d rather not update the firmware and lose the ability to track. I think I may need to exchange the camera.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still think it is due to sway of pvc pipe 17 feet up and it sways and it spins just a bit.

Can you test it on a more stable structure to confirm if it still happens?

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I still think it is due to sway of pvc pipe 17 feet up and it sways and it spins just a bit.

Can you test it on a more stable structure to confirm if it still happens?
Negative. Schedule 40 steel pipe and every preset is shifted and gets worse with time. It’s got to come down anyway. But you can see in the images they’ve moved but the mount hasn’t. The presets move in the same direction after each reset.

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well if you have to take it down anyway then prove it isn't sway on a 17 foot pipe with a momentum turning device at the top. While the PTZ isn't completely free spinning, having it track and then spin 120 degrees or whatever wouldn't take much movement to cause it to spin off just a bit.

We have seen it before.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well if you have to take it down anyway then prove it isn't sway on a 17 foot pipe with a momentum turning device at the top. While the PTZ isn't completely free spinning, having it track and then spin 120 degrees or whatever wouldn't take much movement to cause it to spin off just a bit.

We have seen it before.
The pipe definitely sways in the wind. I don’t understand why it’s off in the same direction each time with no wind? A lot of aluminum camera poles aren’t as thick and I’d think would have more sway. Is this a common issue?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor put his on his flagpole and it was constantly moving off just as yours. When he put it on his house the problem went away.

It isn't the sway from the wind that is getting it, it is the force of the PTZ spinning back quickly to the preset. Spin it 120 degrees at speed on a non stable platform and when the camera gets to the preset the pole kicks just a bit and when it kicks back it is just enough for the PTZ to spin off a bit and that is why it gets worse over time because it happens every time.

I saw that when I was playing with the miniPTZ and just holding it. The momentum of that thing spinning and stopping at the preset is a lot stronger than you think.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome and thank you as always. I’ll get it down tomorrow and I’ll mount it to the side of a wall and test it. If it’s good, I’ll turn the speed down as low as possible. I’ll take the three hose clamps one at a time and put rubber in between them and the pole. I really want a camera on the pole lol.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
do you have the ptz setting of "idle motion" - I had to set mine to on and gave it 1 minute timing.
not sure if this is is related to your problem, but it solved my shifted movement in my preset, and kept IVS from working properly