PTZ recommendations needed....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So cameras can’t have a onboard motion trigger fire off a onvif command to another camera independently?
Nope - it needs something to send that command off - these cameras can barely send an email LOL. You could have it send you an email that then sends a command but the lag and delay would be poor.

You need a VMS system to do it reliably. I haven't used Frigate but I cannot believe there isn't a way for it to fire off an API command when a camera is triggered.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
That Camera looks Suspiciously exactly like the the Jidetech hardware i bought as my first cam....2.5 years ago...(precovid anyway)
Turned out to be a Hikvision OEM...@Wittaj tried to help get tracking presets to work on it....but it was a basket case for a User interface....
I said fuck it....I got more fixed cams....PTZ's are more like a toy ( ive heard) 3 fixed cams would do a better job ( im told)...

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That Camera looks Suspiciously exactly like the the Jidetech hardware i bought as my first cam....2.5 years ago...(precovid anyway)
Turned out to be a Hikvision OEM...@Wittaj tried to help get tracking presets to work on it....but it was a basket case for a User interface....
I said fuck it....I got more fixed cams....PTZ's are more like a toy ( ive heard) 3 fixed cams would do a better job ( im told)...
Yeah, I’m sure it’s likely a older hik or dahua. I’ve not had any luck pinning it down to an exact model. Had hoped I could and could flash oem firmware on it. Sometimes it does a good job tracking, but it’s a 50/50 shot. If the tracking algorithm was tweaked and improved a bit it would be great. I wanted to try to get shinobi nvr spun up and working as it has a tracking feature for non-tacking PTZ cams…but I didn’t have luck with it. Frigate is supposedly working on adding PTZ features, not sure if they will include a auto tracking feature, but would be nice. I have 3 fixed cams up and running with 3 more to mount up and then will buy more to add as well. Looking for a mixture of fixed cam and likely a couple PTZ to maybe grab details the fixed ones miss.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy let me know that the PTZ1A225-HNR-XA won’t be getting restocked (if I understood correctly) so it looks like I’ll be getting a PTZ1A225-HNR-GB from him instead. Looks to just be the next iteration of that camera.