PTZ Tracking Resets to Preset when Person Stops Moving

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am trying to have the PTZs continue to track a person even after they have stopped moving for more than 10 seconds. I find that when a person stops moving for 5 to 10 seconds the PTZ will go back to its original Preset settings and then when the person moves (if they're in the initial Preset FOV) it will zoom back in and track them. I want the PTZ to linger on them for at least 60 seconds, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Its one of those things that sounds simple and we've all said the same thing.

If they could just provide a dwell time that could be set from say 0-60 seconds....

So I think it would involve a set of IVS rules for the "Dwell" area is the problem, and of course that isnt a fixed preset. The other problem is that once it "loses" the target, it would likely pick up ANY target that moves in the "dwell" time... otherwise you're talking about some internal short term "database" of sorts to recall the last tracked object... I think it gets complicated.

Last edited:

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same issue on this end.

Would it not be possible to add a user selectable delay to the PTZ, via BI, to pause the PTZ at it's last PTZ position when movement stopped? Then upon retrigger to resume PTZ actions if within the set delay window. Or if past the set delay time then return to present 1 or PTZ home position.

One possible non desired action could be that when the PTZ looses tracking (tree in the way or end of desired FOV) then the delay would cause the PTZ to hold it's position until time out instead of quickly returning to preset 1 or home.

As stated above it sounds simple, but could be very complicated to implement.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same issue on this end.

Would it not be possible to add a user selectable delay to the PTZ, via BI, to pause the PTZ at it's last PTZ position when movement stopped? Then upon retrigger to resume PTZ actions if within the set delay window. Or if past the set delay time then return to present 1 or PTZ home position.

One possible non desired action could be that when the PTZ looses tracking (tree in the way or end of desired FOV) then the delay would cause the PTZ to hold it's position until time out instead of quickly returning to preset 1 or home.

As stated above it sounds simple, but could be very complicated to implement.
The problem then is that the camera would be sitting at a non-preset and to track it needs a preset with IVD rules.

That is where what I said more spotter cams would spin it to a preset close to where the person stopped and then pick them up again when they start moving.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly.
Stopping at what is effectively an unknown position, or non-preset, means one of two things have to occur.

1- camera AI memorizes (temporary) the last target (harder than it sounds) and waits with a temporary SMD/IVS rule covering this entire unknown area for that specific target (think woman with blue jeans and pink top on bicycle)

2- forget camera AI memorizing last target, let’s say it simply waits for ANY target in this previously unknown, impossible to predict location. And like #1 it has a temporary scene wide SMD type rule to pick up ANY human that moves in the allotted dwell time.
Might work for a remote scene where people are the exception and outnumbered by moose, but in an urban area with lots of foot traffic it might just end up indiscriminately tracking its ass off for hours until it no longer sees a target in whatever unknown location it ends up at each time a human comes by.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All great points I never thought about, "as is" sounds best and I agree with Wittaj, more spotter cams are the best solution for any blind spot outside of the PTZs presets. Thank you guys for your replies, much appreciated.