PTZ v1 motion detection seems overly sensitive or blind with not much in between

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With both my Huisun v1 10x PTZ and my LTS 4 MP turrets, basic motion detection seems to be overly sensitive. Even looking at a fixed indoor scene with no lighting changes, basic motion detection seems to work like this:

• If set to 2 or higher, it goes off constantly
  • If set to 1 or lower, it never goes off
  • If I skip the NVR and go to the camera's 0-100 sensitivity slider, I still can't find a value that seems to work. Even a setting of 3 will give alerts on what seems to be an unchanging scene.
Here's a specific scenario that I would like to improve. The Huisun is looking at my driveway, for license plates. (I have exposure set according to the hints in another thread, and plates look great day or night.) I'd like to log an event and get an email if a car comes into view. It would be fine to miss a smaller motion event like a person, there are other cameras for that sort of thing.

sWJCxc9.png

I have tried messing with noise reduction to make the image less grainy and sparkly, but still, it either seems to go off far too often, or not at all. It'll happily give an alert when there is absolutely nothing changing in the frame that I can see. And since the Huisun has no smart analysis feature like the LTS/Hik cams, I can't even tell what part of the scene is setting it off.

I know this is a common complaint and the best advice is to use line-crossing or region-intrusion alerts. I would still like to get the most out of basic motion detection sometimes as the Huisun PTZ cameras do not have line-crossing or region-intrusion.

If the bottom line is "give up" that would be good to hear too as it will save me some time! I am starting to think that this is futile, and I will need to use a smarter motion alert on a different camera to get driveway event timestamps.

Any config suggestions for this Huisun scenario?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like in v2 they did fix motion sensitivity...

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great news. I'll order one (or two...) after the holidays.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Last night I set sensitivity at 20, expecting 100s of emails like in v1 during in the morning hours transition. That didn't happen. Only one email when IR turned off at 7:30 am. Certainly looks fixed, no false alarms during night and detected people motion as expected.

rihallix

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that v2 fixes motion detection at night time.

Specifically I have a camera pointing at my driveway/the road beyond about 50-100 feet away. The v1.0 captures nothing between dusk and dawn.

Cany anyone with a v2 confidently reassure me that the v2 is the fix I need?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I find that the motion detection on the V2 is also totally useless.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I find that the motion detection on the V2 is also totally useless.
In what sense? When I was using it before it worked as expected day/night. I haven't tested with latest firmware but will try tonight

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found that the motion detection on the v2 was too prone to false positives, or was blind... couldn't get a usable middle ground. YMMV!

(I've been relying on Line Crossing or Area Intrusion motion detection on my Hik cameras instead, as I have overlapping coverage.)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
So were you getting lots of motion detection during dusk/dawn hours like in v1?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Alright set two ptz in Hikvision NVR to record motion (remember motion recording will only work with Hikvision protocol, not ONVIF). One is set to 20 sensitivity, the other one is to 40 (can only do in increments of 20 in the NVR), both are pointing on the road, but different spots. One is also used as LPR. Will update results once I get data points.

EDIT, I could immediately tell that motion detection using as LPR isn't going to work

EDIT #2: Checked motion over night and it works as expected, except the cam with LPR mode. At night, it just records in continuous form. BTW if you expect Hikvision-like motion detection then forget it, it's only providing basic motion detection functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now I am doubting my memory @klapsica... I'll have to play with it again this weekend because I can't remember the details of why I abandoned motion detection, just that I did.