PTZ with autotracking can it be used for automated sports broadcast?

toonwolf

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I had this crazy idea. Would it be possible to use a ptz camera to broadcast sports? What I would like to achieve is an unmanned broadcast of let's say a soccer game. It doesn't need to be perfect TV if you know what I mean. This is not MLS, more like amateur leagues. I have no experience with autotracking, but can you predefine the object you want it to follow?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How would the camera know what to track?

I don't think auto tracking would even know what to do during a tennis match, small ball, two players moving about and even if it knew to track the ball, I'd think it would wear out the motor trying to catch up.
Then if you talk soccer, two teams moving about. Too many objects at once. Maybe camera could do a bit of a left half, center, right half of the field, but it may be to slow & jerky to watch and still miss important moments.

I think you could setup one or more static cams and have multiple viewers, or setup an additional webcam. Then have viewing accounts directly or through a streaming service

ustream.tv comes to mind, but it seems like they don't have free/basic accounts

livestream might work

toonwolf

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thank's for your feedback. I guess what I really need is something like this or maybe this but I guess both would be way over my budget. Oh well maybe I'll get someone to do some old manual shooting..

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting idea the first one. Not sure I'd like to watch any game though with the ball constantly in the center ;)

I think the best start for remote viewing is setting up a static streaming cam or two. That'll already involve the practical issue of where to put them to capture all or most of the action ;)