Purple hue on Mini Dome image

01740isp

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the OEM equivalent of DS-2CD2542FWD-IS and just completed the setup. Initially, the picture was fine and reflected the proper colors but when I woke up this morning, there was a purple tint to the image. I reset the camera back to factory settings a couple of time but that does not seem to bring the camera back. Saturation just seem to increase/decrease the purple hue as expected. Moving the camera inside the house does not change the purple hue.
Anyone has any ideas or is this one defective?

-Messan

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Just my wild guess here, but it appears related to IR issue. If you already tried hard reset, it could be defective.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try resetting all of your "Display Settings" to the default values or, as Klasipca suggested, a hard reset may help.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The IR Cut filter is stuck if the "off" position. This filter is supposed to slide off during the night to allow the camera to see Infrared light, but during the daytime, this filter is supposed to slide back on the lens to block infrared light....When the filter gets stuck in the off position, your night images look good but your day images look red/purple.

Easiest solution to try is to manually change between day and night mode several times and hopefully it will come unstuck itself....If that doesn't work, the next step is to moderately knock on the unit beside the lens in order to knock the filter back into place....If that doesn't work, then it may require taking the unit apart, removing the lens and manually dislodging the filter...That would be a last course options as removing a lens can be a complicated process with some camera modules (and can cause damage to the lens or cause you to get dust particles on the sensor).

01740isp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The explanations makes sense. Wxman, you are correct about the picture looking fine in night mode. I tried the hard reset, the manual toggle between the day and night multiple times but that did not help. I will try the gentle tap but I am not hoping for much. Since the camera is brand new (just received it Friday), I will try to exchange it. This morning, it briefly went from night mode to fluorescent green instead of purple. i messed with some of the settings and it eventually turned purple so I gave up.

-Messan

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It may take a bit more than a gentle tap to knock it into place. Granted, I'm not talking about beating it with a hammer or anything extreme like that, but it may take a few moderate-strength hand pops to knock it loose.

If you've got the day/night switch in automatic mode, then you can cover the light sensor with your hand and you would typically be able to hear a "click" as the filter moves...If you don't hear that click, that would guarantee that it's the IR filter that's stuck....but I'm 99.9% sure that's what the problem is. I've had it happen to me more than once with different cameras and that's the exact redish/purple tent that it gives.

The green image you got was probably because you had the "hue" setting way off. The Hue needs to remain close to 50 to get accurate color reproduction. Theoretically, in the past, it was possible that with a strong hue adjustment along with a manual white balance adjustment (no longer supported on Hikvision firmware), you could replicate normal coloring somewhat while having the IR filter off, but even that was still nothing more than a temporary emergency fix. Without the manual white balance, it would probably be tough to get an acceptable image now with a hue adjustment alone.

ricvil

n3wb
Reaction score
I also have this exact same issue. I received the DS-2CD2542FWD-IS camera last week. I bought it on Aliexpress. I complained to vendor about issue and first they suggested a factory default. It did not help. Then an upgrade to software version V5.3.6 build 151105. It did not help either. I have never heard it do the "click" so it certainly appears to be mechanical IR cut-off filter issue. I am hoping to get a replacement camera so I am reluctant to mess with it. I still have 2 days to open a dispute. If it does not work out then I will certainly open it up and see if it can be manually dislodged.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to use a magnet with a bit of a pull, the IR filter is stuck in the on position,
It's an easy fix, just move the magnet around the bottom of the lens and you will hear it click.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this issue with a 2332. See this thread and the one I linked in the OP. https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4470-Refund-Finally!-Is-there-anything-to-be-done-to-get-this-2332-to-work

I used these (10 Neodymium Magnets 1/2 x 1/8 inch Disc N48 ) magnets, they are much stronger than most magnets you will have at home. It never really got back to perfect, but I think it is better. I just leave saturation on 0. As you see in my post, they refunded $70 out of $90 but that took a LONG time. Like probably 6 weeks. If that happened to me again, I would ask my CC if they would suspend payment.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ricvil

n3wb
Reaction score
I hear you. The Aliexpress vendor wants me to return the item for an exchange. The problem is shipping is exhorbitant. UPS/DHL at over $120 and USPS at over $70. I am not sinking any more money into them.

Regarding the magnet, your Amazon link goes nowhere. Can you post it again please? I would like to try that option but am afraid of getting a magnet that is so strong it will destroy the camera.

Thanks.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Contact the reseller, if you bought it from a locally vendor, from the webgui it looks like a certain brand that I use all the time and that vendor will take care of you.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hear you. The Aliexpress vendor wants me to return the item for an exchange. The problem is shipping is exhorbitant. UPS/DHL at over $120 and USPS at over $70. I am not sinking any more money into them.

Regarding the magnet, your Amazon link goes nowhere. Can you post it again please? I would like to try that option but am afraid of getting a magnet that is so strong it will destroy the camera.

Thanks.
The product I bought was no longer available. I wouldn't be concerned with using too strong of a magnet. If you have a dead hard drive, you can get one out of it. If not, I used N48 strength and I thought they could have been a hair stronger.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Neodymium+Magnets+n48&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ANeodymium+Magnets+n48

I finally opened my 2332 up to see if I could adjust the IR cut filter. Once I had it open, I was hesitant to disconnect the ribbons to find out.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ricvil

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried the magnet approach on the DS-2CD2542FWD and it did not work. The IR filter did not budge even after using 2 strong magnets that were rated at 10lb each. I decided to open up the camera. I suspected the IR Filter motor was simply bad and I just wanted to set it to day mode only manually. Below are 3 pictures of what needs to be done to get to the actual filter.

ph1.JPG
Remove the 3 screws above to open sphere that houses lens.

ph2.JPG

Remove the 2 screws to detach board and reveal IR filter behind lens.

ph3.JPG

Now you have access to the IR Filter. You can move it from side to side by using a tool around the edges, just be careful to not touch the center or you can ruin the images. Mine moved pretty freely from side to side. I simply moved it to the opposite side of where it was in order to have the camera function in day mode always and not get those purple images anymore. It worked out pretty well in the end since I also got a free replacement camera and did not have to ship this one back.