Push notification delay increased recently

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
Push notification latency seems to have increased significantly recently, I think perhaps corresponding to a recent update to the Android app.

It used to be pretty consistent that I would receive the push notifications within less than 10 seconds. Now it is pretty much always over a minute or two.

I only had two devices receiving notifications and have removed one of them, so just have my phone in there now.

Also the way the notifications show up has changed. There is a very large amount of blank whitespace below the notification, almost as if there is supposed to be a photo there or something...but it is just blank now. See attached screenshot:

bi.jpg

cpcarter2

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been experiencing the exact same thing, i think your right about it being related to a recent android update, and the push alert images. I found that going to options-webserver-advanced and uncheck (send rich push 3D notifications) fixes the delay.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been experiencing the exact same thing, i think your right about it being related to a recent android update, and the push alert images. I found that going to options-webserver-advanced and uncheck (send rich push 3D notifications) fixes the delay.
I have been experiencing exactly the same delay. I just switched over to using OpenVPN to remotely log in to my camera feeds and thought it was something to do with that change.

I will try what you suggested as soon as I get a chance

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I notice the same delay. It use to be quick, maybe 10 sec like mentioned by OP. I just unchecked the 3D option and will report back.

cpcarter2

n3wb
Reaction score
It should not be your VPN, the push notifications are not routed through it.
I have been experiencing exactly the same delay. I just switched over to using OpenVPN to remotely log in to my camera feeds and thought it was something to do with that change.

I will try what you suggested as soon as I get a chance
It should not be related to your VPN, the push notifications are not routed through it.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Good to hear I'm not alone in having this issue, I've been noticing the delay too.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It should not be your VPN, the push notifications are not routed through it.

It should not be related to your VPN, the push notifications are not routed through it.
I realize that, it was just a coincidence that I started having the issue when I switched over to using a VPN.

I made the change this morning but haven't had the chance to test.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

cpcarter2

n3wb
Reaction score
I realize that, it was just a coincidence that I started having the issue when I switched over to using a VPN.

I stand corrected, i emailed support about what i found and got this response..

"Thanks for the information.
With 3D push, the app must use the WAN address to call-back for the image.
If the WAN address is not reachable, this might cause the delay."

I use a VPN also and this makes sense as to why the alert images were not coming through for me...

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently, I've been having several issues with the app and the server side emails/SMS as well.

Delayed notification, sometimes immediate, sometimes random alerts to something that happened hours earlier.
Takes forever for the app to load. Used to be immediate connect.

But, I also get random delayed emails/SMS from my windows server as well. I have no idea whats up. May be a server or PC issue.

I also started using AirVpn in December and I use their dynamic IP service. And it really shouldn't matter for outgoing notifications.. And, other apps connect up to it immediately.

And these issues w/BI started a couple weeks ago, long after I started this VPN service.. Odd. I figure it will get sorted out. But at least I'm not alone, lol.

cpcarter2

n3wb
Reaction score
So i have done some playing around with my config and what seems to be happening is after the 2/4/18 update for the android app, it gets the notification the tries to poll the blue iris server for the image and since i use a vpn it times out after a few minutes and i get the alert. so i re checked the "send rich push 3D notifications" and went to the options-webserver tab unchecked "refresh external IP at startup and again every 10 min" and changed the "Remote, external (wan/Internet) access" address to my lan address. I dont know if this matters because i am not asking the app to pull my wan address, but just in case. Then i went to the app login setting and entered my lan address in the wan section, and it works... almost instant notifications plus i get an image. now if i disconnect from the vpn it goes back to no image and a delay, so it seems for this to work the vpn would need to stay active all the time. Then when i went back to my wifi connection the Notifications and alerts stopped coming through, so i entered the BI server lan address in both the lan and wan section of the app and it all seems to work... or just leave the "send rich push 3D notifications" unchecked and call it a day. Hope this Helps

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I also started using AirVpn in December
Neat, that service lets you forward ports to yourself through their servers, so it would be a remote access solution for folks whose internet providers don't allow incoming connections (like satellite or cellular providers).

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Exactly. I used to use DYNDNS to keep what is essentially static connection to the dynamic IP I have. But they have gone downhill and their app is totally whacked these days. A year of AIrVpn, was like 15 dollars more than a year of DYNDNS. and AirVpn immediately follows you as you change servers.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

OK This tweak fixed my notification issues. I am now getting them instantly. Glad this fixed things

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've noticed this delay in the last few days. Very random. I have a driveway alert sensor which triggers my Vera home automation system. It sends a push notification to my phone, but also sends the http command to BI to trigger and send a BI alert. So for every event, I get two parallel notifications - usually 1 or 2 seconds apart, and never more than about 5 seconds after the event.

But, lately, I get only the Vera notice immediately. Then anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes later, BI alert comes through. Very odd behavior. I'm not running a VPN, but my WAN port is non standard. Internally, the port for BI is 80, so the router translates it. It's been like this for at least 10 months w/o issue.

I've never seen a picture on any of my alerts - but I do get them with the emails generated by events. 3D push WAS turned on until this evening when I read it here. We'll see if that doesn't solve the issue.

Given that there were no more posts on this issue since mid-Feb, I'm guessing the issue has been resolved for most?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this on Android? I think my problem is with Android, probably an update. I see these delays on Blue Iris and on MyQ garage door app too. I've seen apps to supposedly fix the "heartbeat" but it hasn't helped me. I'm not out of the house for long periods so I don't know if my delays are just on wifi or not. I'm more aware that a notification should have been sent if I'm at home. Usually the notification comes through when I turn on my phone display, power/lock button.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I did a little more troubleshooting, and here's what solved the issue for me.

I've changed my WAN port to 8881. But, locally, on the BI server, I've specified 80 as the webserver port. This lets me enter the LAN IP w/o specifying a port number (since default is 80). However, since the 8881 WAN port is mapped to 80 in my router, the BI server has no clue that my actual external IP is 8881.

Thus, when the 3D push notification is enabled, and the app attempts to fetch the image from the server, is doing so at my WAN_IP:80 (since this is what the BI server has specified as the port). Thus it times out and fails (causing the delay and lack of image).

I now changed the BI server port from 80 to 8881, and change the port forwarding from "WAN 8881 -> LAN 80" To 8881 -> 8881.

I re-enabled the rich/3D push notification and test triggered a camera. Instantly I had notification, and for the first time ever, I had a snapshot in my notification bar! How cool!

Now, what would be really neat is if you could somehow configure the BI server to use an alternative port for push notification image retrieval instead of the global port. But for now, I'm ok changing all my LAN IP bookmarks to include the 8881. No biggie.

BTW, I'm running Android 7.X on most of my devices, with the latest BI app and server.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just sent this to Ken as a suggestion. It's a long shot, and I know he has way more important things on his plate - but if you don't ask...

2018-04-19_22-44-20.jpg

FWIW, I did not add +0.0.0.0 to the "limit IP addresses" box, as was suggested above.

parvan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem as well on Android devices after updating the Android app.

I'm running Blue Iris as a service and I noticed if I run the actual application on my server, the push is faster. (Maybe less than 5 seconds instead of sometimes minutes) That seems strange to me, but I'm just giving you all my experience.

I'll try disabling "Send rich push (3D) notifications" as suggested with the application closed but the service running.

If I don't respond, that means it solved my issue.

Thanks everyone

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I just sent this to Ken as a suggestion. It's a long shot, and I know he has way more important things on his plate - but if you don't ask...

View attachment 28800

I don't seem to have that same "on port" selection box. Is there some other secret setting that makes that display? Just updated to the latest version.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No, that was rather poor attempt at photoshoping to give Ken an idea about specifying an alternate port for the push notifications. I WISH that was there, but alas, it is only my imagination.