Push Notification help

Uptoeleven

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just getting a couple of Dahua PoE cameras setup at home.
Looking to run Blue Iris on a small PC with the cameras and PC on their own VLAN managed via a PoE switch.
The critical feature for me is receive push notifications to my iphone upon motion detection.
What is the most reliable way to achieve this?
i.e. set it up to receive notifications from Blue Iris, the Dahua cameras directly or something else?
Thanks in advance.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
BI will send the push notifications based on some event. Easy to set up there. Under Alerts tab, On alert button at bottom, set up in the Action set screen displayed. + to add, lightning bolt to test.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will also need to buy the BI app ($10) for the push notifications to work.

Conversely, you could have BI send you a text message (although that has been problematic from time to time as mobile carriers adjust spam filters).

Many here use the pushover app ($5) as it will push a picture to you. The BI app when outside of your home network will not send a picture (unless you VPN all the time OR you port-forward which we do not recommend).

Uptoeleven

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool, I'll go the BI route for notifications. This will let me completely block any external traffic from the cameras.
I'll investigate pushover too, thanks.
Do text messages work out of the USA with BI? I'm in Australia.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool, I'll go the BI route for notifications. This will let me completely block any external traffic from the cameras.
I'll investigate pushover too, thanks.
Do text messages work out of the USA with BI? I'm in Australia.
Blue Iris is put on your computer, so unless your computer is sitting in the USA, the text message will be originating out of the country your computer is in.

Actually the way it works is Blue Iris sends the text message to your phone from an email address you put into Blue Iris. This means that you would need to input your username and password for your email into BI. Many people set up an email account just for the cameras.

So if your computer and mobile carrier are in Australia, that is where they will come from.

Uptoeleven

n3wb
Reaction score
No worries, sounds easy enough. I've just had zero experience pinging out text messages from PC's so wasn't sure if it was tied to cellular carriers in the states or not.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
On that same Action set screen that I pointed you to above, select SMS. In the pull-down list for Carrier, look at the very bottom for "Other gateway." That should let you define your own for whatever service. Assuming it offers the same email-to-text function, should work. You'll also need to set up your SMTP server in BI and all to support that above.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use a Google email account for sending these notifications you'll need to lower the security on Gmail to get them to be accepted by Google servers. Not a big deal, just a little "gotcha" to be aware of.

Uptoeleven

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like our MMS services operate differently to yours in the US.
I think I may have to pay extra for a "desktop messaging" service.
A quick search doesn't show any posts about Australian MMS settings, I'll put something up.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I cant get any live notifications or sounds to my my iphone via BI app, even if its running in the background:confused: .only when i go into the app to view, does it populate my notifications.?