TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
anyone figure this one out?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bueller... bueller

I have no idea but this still shows a blank white screen on my phone. Is there a setting being missed or a bug? Has anyone else seen this or fixed the problem?

Schmidtc89

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having the similar problem but dont see them on WAN or LAN. Using ngrok with port 89 open. Get the push just no image.

xyrgh

n3wb
Reaction score
Same problem here but for WAN and LAN. Push notifications work, but no preview image or gif. Ran the remote access wizard and all working perfectly, have the rich notification box ticked, have alert image box ticket, still nothing.

CinciJeff

n3wb
Reaction score
Same here for LAN, not sure about WAN. I'll do a test later today to be sure then put a support request into BI

cscoppa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck with this? This USED to work on my iPhone (iOS 13.4.1) but recently the images have disappeared from the notifications. I've tried multiple versions of BI, rebooting the phone, ran the remote access wizard, etc. No difference if on the LAN or not.

Reaction score
Guys, I did get this working! I can now get thumbnails on mobile push notifications on LAN and WAN.

I got it working as part of a large change to get multiple subdomains working on my homelab with pfSense, HAProxy, LetsEncrypt, CloudFlare. So unfortunately a lot of what I did may not apply to many setups. But since I ran into just about every problem possible along the way, maybe there are some things that'll help! I'll list a few things I encountered.

- I assume that push notifications get sent out with a URL to the thumbnail using the settings > Web server > "Remote, external (WAN/Internet) access" address. It doesn't matter if your phone is on WAN or LAN. So if you're on LAN and don't see the Blue Iris login page when you hit that URL, thumbnails won't work. I was getting a certificate error because it had the IP address when the cert needs the domain name, so typing the domain there and making sure it stayed by unchecking "Refresh external IP..." worked.

- Related to above, I couldn't access the domain from LAN without setting up a Host Override in pfSense's DNS Resolver (Or setting up a DNS server). I believe other routers have the feature & call this DNS Masquerading.

- Cloudflare DNS proxying: only certain ports are forwarded. Dumb mistake, but took me too long to figure out.

Last edited:

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, I did get this working! I can now get thumbnails on mobile push notifications on LAN and WAN.

I got it working as part of a large change to get multiple subdomains working on my homelab with pfSense, HAProxy, LetsEncrypt, CloudFlare. So unfortunately a lot of what I did may not apply to many setups. But since I ran into just about every problem possible along the way, maybe there are some things that'll help! I'll list a few things I encountered.

- I assume that push notifications get set out with a URL to the thumbnail using the settings > Web server > "Remote, external (WAN/Internet) access" address. It doesn't matter if your phone is on WAN or LAN. So if you're on LAN and don't see the Blue Iris login page when you hit that URL, thumbnails won't work. I was getting a certificate error because it had the IP address when the cert needs the domain name, so typing the domain there and making sure it stayed by unchecking "Refresh external IP..." worked.

- Related to above, I couldn't access the domain from LAN without setting up a Host Override in pfSense's DNS Resolver (Or setting up a DNS server). I believe other routers have the feature & call this DNS Masquerading.

- Cloudflare DNS proxying: only certain ports are forwarded. Dumb mistake, but took me too long to figure out.
When you say domain, do you mean the domain name of your AD or domain name as in your ddns domain name? I'm also running pfsense and it just worked once you have your LAN/WAN port assigned. Never an issue with my LAN access.

What cert are you refering to?
Mind sharing what you have in your BI Web server tab?

Reaction score
When you say domain, do you mean the domain name of your AD or domain name as in your ddns domain name? I'm also running pfsense and it just worked once you have your LAN/WAN port assigned. Never an issue with my LAN access.

What cert are you refering to?
Mind sharing what you have in your BI Web server tab?
By domain I mean a ddns - or in this case a regular .com domain being updated by pfsense.
By cert I mean a LetsEncrypt SSL certificate

I always had issues with LAN thumbnails, WAN was ok. But I wasn't using any SSL certs before, just using the HTTP port.
Maybe I can play around later and see if I can get a minimal setup working using just pfsense & HTTP

Attachments

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By domain I mean a ddns - or in this case a regular .com domain being updated by pfsense.
By cert I mean a LetsEncrypt SSL certificate

I always had issues with LAN thumbnails, WAN was ok. But I wasn't using any SSL certs before, just using the HTTP port.
Maybe I can play around later and see if I can get a minimal setup working using just pfsense & HTTP
I have mine setup just like that except for stunnel. sounds like a pfsense thing. I'm also not able to go to my ddns locally.

Mzda2

n3wb
Reaction score
Changing the Remote, external (WAN/Internet) access to a hostname using DDNS rather than the IP address itself fixed it for me.

Kev79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

- I assume that push notifications get sent out with a URL to the thumbnail using the settings > Web server > "Remote, external (WAN/Internet) access" address. It doesn't matter if your phone is on WAN or LAN. So if you're on LAN and don't see the Blue Iris login page when you hit that URL, thumbnails won't work. I was getting a certificate error because it had the IP address when the cert needs the domain name, so typing the domain there and making sure it stayed by unchecking "Refresh external IP..." worked.

I have a pfsense box as well I am having horrible luck getting the push notifications to send an image all the time.

I tried Nat reflection which did work but had some issues with push notifications to the app. I disabled NAT reflection and tried to set up DNS Resolver instead. I went to DNS Resolver. I left everything default and enabled. I then added a Host Override. I set a Host name and a Parent domain of host. I just used myhost.example.com and set the IP address to point to my DVR that is listening on port 80. From Chrome If I put in myhost.example.com I get Bad Request. If I put in the IP on the DVR I can hit the DVR fine. What am I doing wrong? The DVR shows it is using the DNS of the routers IP

Kev79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I go the example .com DNS to resolve internally but not externally. What is the trick? If I put the .com in the wan entry it will not pass the BI access wizard.

Netscan

n3wb
Reaction score
In your domain's DNS settings, create the host subdomain that points to your WAN address - add the subdomian.yourdomain.com: port as the remote wan address in blue iris, update the server in your app to match.

Kev79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In your domain's DNS settings, create the host subdomain that points to your WAN address - add the subdomian.yourdomain.com: port as the remote wan address in blue iris, update the server in your app to match.
I have pfsense. How to do I do that? I have Host override to direct my NVR like this. mydvr.example.com redirects to 192.168.1.XXX. If I type mydvr.example.com in chrome it hits my BI box from inside the LAN. From my phone on the mobile network it does not load. I get that is is only resolving an internal address but If I used my WAN IP instead of my LAN IP it does not work inside or out.

StarAPI

n3wb
Reaction score
... so typing the domain there and making sure it stayed by unchecking "Refresh external IP..." worked.
Many thanks for this! While your issue was slightly different than my own, this bit got me to where I can finally get images/GIF in my Push notifications. For me, my mobile devices are always on VPN when away from home, using an always on Wireguard setup. So, they are always on my LAN, never WAN, and I was unable to receive images/GIFs with the Push notifications whether at home or out and about. Simply replacing the WAN IP with my Local IP and unchecking the "Refresh external IP..." did the trick.