Puzzled with cam

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
have a cam, actually 4 of the same model... 3 of them are on one of my systems at my house. 1 of them gets good frame rate all of the time, the other two (on a different powerline adapter in my garage) get between .1 and .5 fps... the one that is connected good gets over 300 kB/s bitrate in the BI stats page...the other two get about 50 or less kB/s. Now, I would simply accept that the further distance over a powerline adapter is causing the problem BUT: I can open the cameras up in the browser via IP and the built in GUI and get streaming crystal clear video...

So, my question is: Why can't I get a good quality video in BI when at the same time, on the same connection, with the same camera, I can get a perfect feed via the browser?

(settings in BI and the camera's software are all identical on all 3 cameras)...

(also tried to disable all other cameras on the system to rule out too much traffic..no luck)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
have a cam, actually 4 of the same model... 3 of them are on one of my systems at my house. 1 of them gets good frame rate all of the time, the other two (on a different powerline adapter in my garage) get between .1 and .5 fps... the one that is connected good gets over 300 kB/s bitrate in the BI stats page...the other two get about 50 or less kB/s. Now, I would simply accept that the further distance over a powerline adapter is causing the problem BUT: I can open the cameras up in the browser via IP and the built in GUI and get streaming crystal clear video...

So, my question is: Why can't I get a good quality video in BI when at the same time, on the same connection, with the same camera, I can get a perfect feed via the browser?

(settings in BI and the camera's software are all identical on all 3 cameras)...

(also tried to disable all other cameras on the system to rule out too much traffic..no luck)

That is pretty mysterious, are you on the newest version of BI?

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
yes, latest and greatest..legit and all updated. The connection to my garage with the powerline adapters isn't as good as other connections around my house on other cameras, and I'd probably accept the loss of quality except for the fact that I can get a perfect resolution, streaming 20+ frames/sec video in the browser with the cam's GUI over the exact same connection.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, latest and greatest..legit and all updated. The connection to my garage with the powerline adapters isn't as good as other connections around my house on other cameras, and I'd probably accept the loss of quality except for the fact that I can get a perfect resolution, streaming 20+ frames/sec video in the browser with the cam's GUI over the exact same connection.
You could try deleting the camera in BI and try setting it up again, is it always the same camera? does it make a difference if the cameras that are working fine are disabled or not?

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
tried disabling all other cameras... and sometimes, very rarely, I get better slightly performance from the entire LAN, but I'm contributing that to the powerline adapters. So, to answer that question, no, doesn't make a difference if other cameras are disabled...sigh....

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
tried disabling all other cameras... and sometimes, very rarely, I get better slightly performance from the entire LAN, but I'm contributing that to the powerline adapters. So, to answer that question, no, doesn't make a difference if other cameras are disabled...sigh....
time to shoot self in the face, lol.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm very determined...will exhaust all options and as a (coming very soon) last resort, I'm going to run a hardwire from my router (buffalo running ddwrt) to my basement, up through the wall to the attic, out a side wall of the house, then over to the garage, to my 8 port switch....and if it still doesn't work then, i'll set one camera up, or have my wife take a video with her iphone, and post the action of me smashing everything with a hammer in my driveway...lmao...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm very determined...will exhaust all options and as a (coming very soon) last resort, I'm going to run a hardwire from my router (buffalo running ddwrt) to my basement, up through the wall to the attic, out a side wall of the house, then over to the garage, to my 8 port switch....and if it still doesn't work then, i'll set one camera up, or have my wife take a video with her iphone, and post the action of me smashing everything with a hammer in my driveway...lmao...

Office space! Play the damn it's good to be a gangster song while you do it.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
ok, I've checked everything my limited knowledge will allow me to. I've set the cams up wireless, wired with powerline adapters, and tried every configuration of every setting I could find and no luck... My wife will be upset, but I'm going to make a long Ethernet cable and run it from my living room to the switch in my garage and see what happens with the frame rate and bit rate then.

I'm going to open a new thread and see if I can get some other forum members who understand cameras a lot better than I do to help educate me on some of the settings and what happens when they are changed...maybe i'll learn something that will benefit me and with any luck, others will be able to reference the thread and learn something as well.

IF I get any kind of success, i'll post an update.

thanks..

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
ok, I've checked everything my limited knowledge will allow me to. I've set the cams up wireless, wired with powerline adapters, and tried every configuration of every setting I could find and no luck... My wife will be upset, but I'm going to make a long Ethernet cable and run it from my living room to the switch in my garage and see what happens with the frame rate and bit rate then.

I'm going to open a new thread and see if I can get some other forum members who understand cameras a lot better than I do to help educate me on some of the settings and what happens when they are changed...maybe i'll learn something that will benefit me and with any luck, others will be able to reference the thread and learn something as well.

IF I get any kind of success, i'll post an update.

thanks..
Would it be out of the question to take the camera down and take it to the livingroom to hook it up temporarily to test it? Would piss the wife off a little less.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
ok...still confused, but made progress... I ran a rather long piece of cat5 from my living room to my garage and patched it into the switch feeding 3 cameras... got the frame rate up on them and bit rate up on them to acceptable levels..so, at that point, I decided that the powerlline adapter must be the problem, not letting enough bandwidth go through the powerline infrastructure.. once the evening came to an end, I removed the temporary piece of Ethernet cable and reinstalled the powerline adapter..and WTF, the frame rates continued to be improved... they weren't as good, but are about 10x better than they were... Not sure how/why, but after going from powerline to Ethernet and back to powerline, it seems to made a big difference.

In addition... with my powerline adapters...3-4 of them around the system at my house, it seems like sometimes one feed gets better bandwidth than the others, or vice versa. Haven't gotten enough data to verify, but it seems that like for example there are 3 powerline adapters feeding various cameras from the 1 hooked to the router, then when 1 and 2 are getting a good connection, 3 isn't, or when 1 and 3 are getting a good connection, then 2 isn't.... anyone have more experience with these powerline adapters than I do that can shed some light on my current situation?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
ok...still confused, but made progress... I ran a rather long piece of cat5 from my living room to my garage and patched it into the switch feeding 3 cameras... got the frame rate up on them and bit rate up on them to acceptable levels..so, at that point, I decided that the powerlline adapter must be the problem, not letting enough bandwidth go through the powerline infrastructure.. once the evening came to an end, I removed the temporary piece of Ethernet cable and reinstalled the powerline adapter..and WTF, the frame rates continued to be improved... they weren't as good, but are about 10x better than they were... Not sure how/why, but after going from powerline to Ethernet and back to powerline, it seems to made a big difference.

In addition... with my powerline adapters...3-4 of them around the system at my house, it seems like sometimes one feed gets better bandwidth than the others, or vice versa. Haven't gotten enough data to verify, but it seems that like for example there are 3 powerline adapters feeding various cameras from the 1 hooked to the router, then when 1 and 2 are getting a good connection, 3 isn't, or when 1 and 3 are getting a good connection, then 2 isn't.... anyone have more experience with these powerline adapters than I do that can shed some light on my current situation?
I think when you hooked it back up and it was better but still crappy it just means that the powerline adapters suck and will randomly give you different levels of connection. Not knowing a whole lot about them I assume that since it goes through the homes power system you can pick up interference from everything to the hot water heater, to the air conditioner, to whatever random crap you might have plugged into an outlet somewhere. Hate to tell you to throw your money away but if I were you i'd run my network cameras on a real network. The house power system has to be one of the most hostile environments.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have used them for regular browsing for a long time in different locations and thought they were decent.. But for the quality of video stream i am expecting, i just dont think they are working out very well... Sigh.. $120 worth of them....

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have used them for regular browsing for a long time in different locations and thought they were decent.. But for the quality of video stream i am expecting, i just dont think they are working out very well... Sigh.. $120 worth of them....

Yeah, howstuffworks says they only go to like 14mbps, that's enough for like 3 cams at 4096 bitrate and then you're maxed out, if you aren't doing anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You never told us the specs, make/model of your powerline carriers. Have you thought of a 5ghz wifi bridge rather than powerline?

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A couple engenius wireless bridges would probably solve your problem. They are fairly cheap and work well.

Last edited by a moderator: