Q™ Earns Dope-Of-The-Year Award

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We all make mistakes and it seems I made a big one. I left my DS-2CD2342WD-I out in the rain. Powered. And without protecting the pigtail RJ45 socket well enough. When I woke up, BI was reporting "no signal." So I brought the camera in and the RJ45 socket appeared to have moisture in it. So I figured if I dried it out that might help. I plugged in a 1500 watt space heater, cranked it up to "10" and figured the pigtail socket would dry out in a few minutes. Three hours later I remembered that it was still drying out. Opps. The good news is that it was most definitely dry. The bad news is that the pigtail was in a state of melt down and the RJ45 socket had deformed...in fact it was so deformed that (after I let it cool down) an RJ45 plug wouldn't fit into it. I could fuQ up a wet dream I tell ya. So I reheated the pigtail and after it got soft again I plugged a spare RJ45 connector into it. It wasn't easy getting it but I did manage to fit it into the deformed socket. I then plugged the camera into a POE switch...and it booted!...and the camera worked!...but the RJ45 fit was so freakin' tight that I destroyed the pigtail RJ45 socket trying to get the cable unplugged from the camera. So I ran out and bought a CE TECH Model #5025-WH Category 5e Jack at Home Depot and used the Hikvision technical bulliten (posted below) to rebuild the socket. It worked! The camera is now installed (inside, he he he) and a little uglier but none-the-worse for the wear.

A big shout-out and sincere thanks to nzipcamera who posted these documents in an earlier topic.

Thank you very...VERY...much nzipcamera!

Page-1.jpg

Page-2.jpg

Ugly-Repair-1.jpg

Ugly-Repair-2.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I once had to deal with a camera that had been left too exposed like that. Dongle filled up with water, and the jack was destroyed in an attempt to clean the contacts. After replacing the dongle, the camera didn't work reliably and it had some problem that would disable the entire network segment it was connected to. At least your story has a happy ending!

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I actually have the same issue ,(instead of moisture just damaged one of the cable during a minor fire ...) gonna try to fix it, waiting for punch down tool from Amazon ._.;, hope mine comes out as good as yours.

khx73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just FYI, you put the wires on from the outside-in... It'll still work..but it makes it uglier and bulky.
Properly done it should look like this:

rj45-jack_01.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just FYI, you put the wires on from the outside-in... It'll still work..but it makes it uglier and bulky.
Properly done it should look like this...
Roger that...next time it'll be prettier.