QCP-A356 (Despicible Me Stuart Cam)

kelkin

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so once you all stop laughing... :)

I came across a bunch of these webcams at Walmart for $20 each so I figured I'd pick up a few and see what I could do with them, maybe monitor a few blind spots at my house and add it to my Blue Iris setup. After plugging one in, it looks like it's made to only work with an iOS / Android app called "Tend", related to a company called Security+. The picture is amazing in the app, but of course they have a model to charge you for any sort of storage of video.. I want to access the stream directly and record it myself, but can't find a way. I did a port scan on it, and only find port 80 open.. Browsing to it yields a custom error page, nothing helpful on it and no configuration / admin page. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to access a hidden admin page, direct video stream, or some other hack?
-Keith

Reaction score
Ok, so once you all stop laughing... :)

I came across a bunch of these webcams at Walmart for $20 each so I figured I'd pick up a few and see what I could do with them, maybe monitor a few blind spots at my house and add it to my Blue Iris setup. After plugging one in, it looks like it's made to only work with an iOS / Android app called "Tend", related to a company called Security+. The picture is amazing in the app, but of course they have a model to charge you for any sort of storage of video.. I want to access the stream directly and record it myself, but can't find a way. I did a port scan on it, and only find port 80 open.. Browsing to it yields a custom error page, nothing helpful on it and no configuration / admin page. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to access a hidden admin page, direct video stream, or some other hack?
-Keith
Not laughing, I saw a deal post for these a few weeks ago and wondered the very same thing. Have you physically opened one up yet? If there's a three- or four-hole port present, it's likely a console/serial connection and a possible way in.

Okay, found the FCC ID (A5JC35621) on a YouTube video which focused on the ID label, which led to this document containing internal photos. Boom, there's your console port.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's interesting the other versions of this camera (Kodak, John Deere, others) include an RJ-45 Ethernet jack. The Minion Stuart cam appears to be exclusive to Wal-Mart, who probably forced the manufacturer to hit a lower price point, so they removed the PHY chip and jack.