QNAP Port forwarding

Ballistic

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Qnap VS-2204 for my vacation house and trying to figure out what ports i need to forward to be able to access it remotely.

So what ports do i need to forward?

I was going to try out there myQNAPcloud also but not sure what ports are needed for that..

my system port is 80 and SSL port is 443

thanks in advanced!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
setup a VPN Server on your vacation house's router; forwarding ports is horribly insecure,

Ballistic

n3wb
Reaction score
setup a VPN Server on your vacation house's router; forwarding ports is horribly insecure,
I already have a VPN tunnel back to my main home, but i hate having to always login to my vpn app to see if im not at home. Im using a Dell Sonicwall firewall.

i can force https aslo..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Pondering

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to IP cameras. I have a question and would appreciate any information you can provide. I want to install 4-6 IP cameras around my home. I will run CAT 6 from each through the attic, to a POE connected to its own router and computer. I plan to set the recording to just before, during and after movement. My IT experience is dated. Lots of new options have been made available that I'm not current with. I'm hearing things about FileZilla and, I'm wondering if this FTP option can replace the NVR. This may be something that is commonly done, I'm just late to the game. With a FTP option is the NVR necessary?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FTP and NAS storage pretty much suck ass; viewing and managing the files directly sucks and nothing compared to a proper NVR that can manage timelines, sync multiple video files, play slow/fast motion, show event statuses, combine clips and export composites with validated watermarks.

With FTP you have to clean out files externally or else it will gladly fill your hdd up, and it names files and puts them in a directory stricture that it decides and in a format thats not directly playable.. so you have to convert each file you want to play before playing it and search through it all without any true timeline or playlists or anything that would make such a task easy.

Pondering

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, that sucks. It sounded good in my head. I was looking at parts and piecing them to make a system. Now I am looking around at box systems. Do you have any experience with this?

Foscam FN3108XE-B4-1T NVR xPoE Professional Security System, with 8 Channels, 4 Outdoor 720P HD IP Cameras, View on Mobile APP, 1TB Hard Drive

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah its junk; avoid foScams at all costs..

if you want a bundle system look at Costco QSee or Lorex or really any of there wired PoE systems are better and have a no questions asked return policy for life..