QNAP Surveillance Station or directly to NAS via path?

drabina

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not sure if I am thinking correctly but do I have two options on how to record the camera's video feed?

1. Using QNAP Surveillance Station on my QNAP
or
2. Plugging NAS storage path directly into Dahua's settings

Is one preferred vs the other? I know that Surveillance Station has some limitations and it is taxing my small TS-231 QNAP so I am thinking that I should just plug the NAS shared folder for the recordings into Dahua's settings. I just have a weird feeling that I am missing something. I have the IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera from Andy.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that Surveillance Station has some limitations and it is taxing my small TS-231 QNAP
Yes, you'll find that SS is a bit over heavy for that model, insufficient RAM.
Depending on what else you are doing, you may end up using swap space with the resultant significant performance degradation.
Plus - SS isn't being developed any more, QVRPro has taken over.

The shared folder approach won't burden the NAS much - but you will be limited to using the camera's own 'mini NVR' facilities for reviewing and handling the storage.
That's even more limited than SS in terms of facilities.

drabina

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I am not really using my NAS for anything else. It is just a storage that's not getting used much. No other processes are running on it than NFS, anti-virus and other key stuff.

Is the QVRPro something that's replacing SS and can be installed on the QNAP or I would have to have a PC to run it?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the QVRPro something that's replacing SS and can be installed on the QNAP
Certainly QVRPro has replaced Surveillance Station - finally after a poor start it's quite a good product.
But I don't believe it's available for your NAS model - assuming you have identified it correctly. There are multiple TS-431 variants.
But in any case, it's much more demanding on the device than SS.

Worth checking when SS is running is the memory usage in the control panel - in particular if any swap space is in use.

drabina

n3wb
Reaction score
Yesterday, I have successfully used the NAS path in the camera's settings but will switch to SS and see if the process is using any swap space. How do I stop the camera's recording when I switch to the SS? Should the settings match (camera and SS - video codec, quality, etc) or it doesn't matter?