qos

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
having some qos issues, any idea how to have windows 10 place dscp onto packets? peferable 0 for BI and 32 for everything else. played with group policies a bunch, but couldn't get anything to apply (when i check with wireshark everything is 0). tryed to force application of dscp with my switch (cisco sg200-26) but it doesn't seem to support it.

any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
figures, play with it all morning and as soon as i post i figure it out. apparently is an issue with not being on a domain. i followed the instructions to patch windows (for windows 7, but works on windows 10) and its working fine now. for reference add this to you registry:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"DisableUserTOSSetting"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\QoS]
"Do not use NLA"="1"
Then add your rules to your group policy (gpedit.msc)

win10 QoS.PNG

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
figures, play with it all morning and as soon as i post i figure it out. apparently is an issue with not being on a domain. i followed the instructions to patch windows (for windows 7, but works on windows 10) and its working fine now. for reference add this to you registry:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"DisableUserTOSSetting"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\QoS]
"Do not use NLA"="1"
Then add your rules to your group policy (gpedit.msc)

View attachment 6934
If you need QOS, you need to put your cameras on another subnet, vlan. You probably don't even need it...

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you need QOS, you need to put your cameras on another subnet, vlan. You probably don't even need it...
the connection definitely not saturated, but i have a shared drive that I use for my HTPCs on the same computer as BI. The HTPCs have issues streaming off the computer when BI is running. My solution use to be to use intel nic teaming, which fixed the problem, but the latest big win10 update broke intel nic teaming. figured my next best bet was to figure out how to get qos working on a single nic. BI generates a huge amount of packets for not much traffic, especially compared to streaming video files over the lan, which i assume is the issue. i though about running a second switch, but i don't really want to run 2 switchs if i don't have to, and all my cameras rely on my router for dhcp and ntp.

i guess i could run to subnets on the same switch (would i still need to do vlans?)? networking isnt my strong suit. i was happy to get qos working with a reasonable improvement.... :p

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the connection definitely not saturated, but i have a shared drive that I use for my HTPCs on the same computer as BI. The HTPCs have issues streaming off the computer when BI is running. My solution use to be to use intel nic teaming, which fixed the problem, but the latest big win10 update broke intel nic teaming. figured my next best bet was to figure out how to get qos working on a single nic. BI generates a huge amount of packets for not much traffic, especially compared to streaming video files over the lan, which i assume is the issue. i though about running a second switch, but i don't really want to run 2 switchs if i don't have to, and all my cameras rely on my router for dhcp and ntp.

i guess i could run to subnets on the same switch (would i still need to do vlans?)? networking isnt my strong suit. i was happy to get qos working with a reasonable improvement.... :p
Something is wrong. There is no way you are running enough bandwidth to cause a problem. Windows 10 update could possible cause a temporary problem. Look into pfSense, I know that would be another hobby... :0 Give me more information, you shouldn't' need teaming at home.. What is your internet speed?

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Something is wrong. There is no way you are running enough bandwidth to cause a problem. Windows 10 update could possible cause a temporary problem. Look into pfSense, I know that would be another hobby... :0 Give me more information, you shouldn't' need teaming at home.. What is your internet speed?
actually i am running pfsense, internet speed shouldnt be an issue as this is all lan traffic. i only have a 1 up 15 down mbit connection.

internet modem --> pfsense box --> cisco sg200-26 --> main pc (with BI and shared drives)

all my htpcs and cameras plug in directly to the cisco. vlaning doesn't look hard to do, but i'm not sure if my hardware supports it, pfsense is running headless on an old p4 with an intel pci nic going to the lan.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
still playing with this, vlan's have proven more complicated than i though to set up in pfsense. i went back to anaylizing my packets, and the cameras generate a little over 3300 packets a second. one of the camera periodically throws off a tcp error as well. either the sheer number of packets is causing some jitter when streaming, or maybe its the error creating the jitter? will try unplugging the one camera and watching a movie to see if its still an issue.