Qsee Knox NVR

zra

n3wb
Reaction score
HI,

I'm new here.

I have had analog Costco Qsee cameras and dvr kits at home for years I currently have 8 1080 cameras installed. They have worked fine for me. I've been wanting to update to IP based for a while I've been waiting for price and features. My thought is that I'll run Analog and IP systems in parallel as I replace the analog cameras 1-2 at a time with Digital ones.

I'm interested in thoughts about the following.

I bought a Qsee Knox K8CN1.1-2 NVR. It was pretty inexpensive, US$199 shipped with a 2TB WD Purple drive installed. I still have about 10 days left to return it. I'm on the fence.

Here's what I like about it so far:

Price

64 bit Presidio Mac App is nice with good features and very easy to use. iOS app is equally good.

Built in UI seems well thought out and responsive.

Qsee has a cloud-based DDNS type service which seems to work well (I have no idea about its security).

The box is quiet.

Here's what I don't like about it so far:

It seems to want proprietary Qsee cameras to use full functionality. I'm sure there are cams from other manufacturers that will do trip line, face recognition, people counting etc. But I'm not sure which those are and it seems like this device is too new for anyone to have much info about it.

I can't add my analog DVR to the Presidio app like I can with SmartPSS and I can't add the NVR to SmartPSS. With another DVR I could probably use both at the same time with one app.

The Reolink 5MP camera I already own works via ONVIF, the image quality seems fine and MD works, but Things like image rotation and the built-in Mic. do not. I have since learned that Reolink is unpopular here, but I can't complain about the $40 I spent vs its performance so far.

I know Blue Iris is great, but I'm a Mac guy, I don't have any old PCs or Windows 10 installs lying around and I don't really want to buy those just for that purpose. I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible

If I return this NVR I'll probably purchase one of the Dahua NVRs from Andy or just wait and see what comes up in the next few months.

I know that's a lot of stuff, if someone has taken the time to read through all of it, I appreciate it and any thoughts on this.

Thanks
-Ezra

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
did you end up keeping this NVR? Do you know who is the manufacturer of this particular NVR?