Question about Blue Iris upgrading and license.

ebj7

n3wb
Reaction score
I was impressed with Blue Iris and how easily it configured my non-brand GW camera, after 30 days I am going to pay for the license. Currently I only have 1 camera and plan to keep it that way for quite some time, but would like to expand on my cameras eventually. Is there anyway to upgrade a lite license to a full with the difference or do you have to decided initially to get the full? I could not find any information about this on the website.

Also I reformat my main HDD frequenly, every 4-5 months I back up my system, reformat and reinstall as a habit. I try to remember to back up everything but I do forget things sometimes. Is this a problem with Blue-Iris in the sense that if I keep a copy of my license in my email, I can reinstall with that, or are there files that come with activation that I need to back up. Is reinstalling with the new license a problem or is just keeping your license key enough?

Thanks for any help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was impressed with Blue Iris and how easily it configured my non-brand GW camera, after 30 days I am going to pay for the license. Currently I only have 1 camera and plan to keep it that way for quite some time, but would like to expand on my cameras eventually. Is there anyway to upgrade a lite license to a full with the difference or do you have to decided initially to get the full? I could not find any information about this on the website.

Also I reformat my main HDD frequenly, every 4-5 months I back up my system, reformat and reinstall as a habit. I try to remember to back up everything but I do forget things sometimes. Is this a problem with Blue-Iris in the sense that if I keep a copy of my license in my email, I can reinstall with that, or are there files that come with activation that I need to back up. Is reinstalling with the new license a problem or is just keeping your license key enough?

Thanks for any help!
You can email the developer and ask. Even if you only have one camera, you may want to clone it for more advanced motion detection options so the full version is not a bad idea.
You do not need the install file, all you need is the activation code. Blue iris should ideally be run on a dedicated pc...reformatting a vms pc every 5 months is unnecessary.

ebj7

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer, I am currently running my personal PC as the platform for BlueIris for personal home use as I don't have a dedicated PC yet. I just want to know if anything happens to my install, will re-activating in a fresh one be a problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer, I am currently running my personal PC as the platform for BlueIris for personal home use as I don't have a dedicated PC yet. I just want to know if anything happens to my install, will re-activating in a fresh one be a problem.
no