Question about Hikvision cams without SD on board

camwhore

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Loving my new acquisition and I can see how this can quickly become an obsession : )

To my question... I will be doing some exploring of options with my cam sans its storage card when I get some time but thought I'd ask on here to maybe save me a lot of time and re-inventing the wheel.

Is it possible to run any of the Hik cams, like the 2032 small bullets for example that don't have on board storage, and have them upload alarm snapshots or footage straight to an FTP site or email snapshots and completely bypass use of any LAN attached NVR or NAS type storage on the premises?

I'm looking to put a 12mm cam in a shared passageway between houses situated at one end pointing approximately 8m down to the other end to capture face snapshots of anyone who ventures down the passage. I don't particularly need video to be captured as I just want it mainly for alert purposes but would like multiple snapshots taken on a movement detection to ensure capture of any person's face who walks into the passage.

Cam will be situated such that they won't notice it until they've been snapped.

Would it be possible to do this with a cam such as the 2032 without on board storage? The outcome of this could mean the difference between me spending over £100 so I'm obviously keen to find out.

Also, may I enquire if any of you guys use any online storage services in such a manner? Google drive? Sky drive? I've seen MS's offering mentioned a few times in threads here and there but haven't even begun to look at possible options available yet for such online storage or even if it is possible to a non traditional FTP connection. Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Camwhore.

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can setup the camera to email you pics from motion alarms.If you want FTP upload, you might need some software like Blue Iris or iVMS running on a server.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All,

Loving my new acquisition and I can see how this can quickly become an obsession : )

To my question... I will be doing some exploring of options with my cam sans its storage card when I get some time but thought I'd ask on here to maybe save me a lot of time and re-inventing the wheel.

Is it possible to run any of the Hik cams, like the 2032 small bullets for example that don't have on board storage, and have them upload alarm snapshots or footage straight to an FTP site or email snapshots and completely bypass use of any LAN attached NVR or NAS type storage on the premises?

I'm looking to put a 12mm cam in a shared passageway between houses situated at one end pointing approximately 8m down to the other end to capture face snapshots of anyone who ventures down the passage. I don't particularly need video to be captured as I just want it mainly for alert purposes but would like multiple snapshots taken on a movement detection to ensure capture of any person's face who walks into the passage.

Cam will be situated such that they won't notice it until they've been snapped.

Would it be possible to do this with a cam such as the 2032 without on board storage? The outcome of this could mean the difference between me spending over £100 so I'm obviously keen to find out.

Also, may I enquire if any of you guys use any online storage services in such a manner? Google drive? Sky drive? I've seen MS's offering mentioned a few times in threads here and there but haven't even begun to look at possible options available yet for such online storage or even if it is possible to a non traditional FTP connection. Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Camwhore.

Without some kind of computer on site, you will have to find someone that offers FTP space online somewhere, which you will probably have to pay for, and most cameras seem to not support SFTP. Dunno how much it would cost. The only way you could use something like google drive is if you can install something on the camera in it's linux like grive, but I have no idea if that is possible. A good cheap in between would be using a raspberry pi that runs grive, or connects to some kind of local storage. If you're willing to have some kind of full on computer running windows you could use one drive, google drive, all sorts of stuff. I am currently pointing Blue Iris straight at one drive synced folders.

RDC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can setup the camera to email you pics from motion alarms.If you want FTP upload, you might need some software like Blue Iris or iVMS running on a server.
doesnt the 2032 bullets firmware support ftp?

camwhore

n3wb
Reaction score
This was what I wanted to ascertain, whether or not external gadgetry or SW was necessary. I've seen the FTP options in the on board Hik SW but I wasn't and still am not sure if cams without SD cards require a storage or staging area as it were, such as an on board SD card or local LAN storage such as a computer running BI or similar, to store or stage the images or video before or while uploading to an FTP connection.

Has anyone got or had a standalone Hikvision cam without on board storage or connection to a PC/NAS, email them multiple snapshots on an alert? I would test this myself by pulling the SD card from my cam but am not able to for the next few days so thank you for your patience and answers gents.

RDC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This was what I wanted to ascertain, whether or not external gadgetry or SW was necessary.
Camwhore.
The 2032 without the SD card supports FTP by itself. See screenshot:

ftp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: