Question about Hikvision connection to multiple endpoints

longtooths

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a hikVision Dvr. It is current connected to my home network and my main TV. I want to add a monitor to this set up. I am thinking about taking the line from the dvr, split it and put one cable back into tv and the other cable into the new monitor. My question is, lets say the TV is not monitoring the dvr input and is instead on say the cable box. Will the cameras still be projected on the Monitor? Same situation (TV showing cable) can i use the mouse plugged into the DVR to change the settings on the monitor?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming the DVR (NVR?), TV, cable box and proposed monitor are all HDMI, consider: Wall Mountable 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch with Analog / Digital Audio Output - 4K

An excerpt:

"...Plug in up to 4 HDMI sources, such as a Blu-ray player, PS4, or Xbox One and either split the signal on up to 2 HD displays or switch between 2 HD displays. With support for 4K x 2K resolutions with HDCP compatibility, the 4 x 2 HDMI matrix switch is also constructed with a metal housing for durability and can be wall mounted for a clean and easy setup. It also comes with an IR receiver and remote control for easy control and manual buttons to switch between displays if necessary. Audio can either be outputted from the HDMI or through the provided analog / digital audio jack...."

==OR==

2 x 4 HDMI Switch, ZAMO 2 in 4 Out HDMI Switcher Splitter with Amplifier SPDIF Audio 3.5mm, 4 Out 2 in HDMI 2.0 Switch Splitter with Audio Extractor Support HD 4Kx2K, 3D, 1080P

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

longtooths

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming the DVR (NVR?), TV, cable box and proposed monitor are all HDMI, consider: Wall Mountable 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch with Analog / Digital Audio Output - 4K

An excerpt:

"...Plug in up to 4 HDMI sources, such as a Blu-ray player, PS4, or Xbox One and either split the signal on up to 2 HD displays or switch between 2 HD displays. With support for 4K x 2K resolutions with HDCP compatibility, the 4 x 2 HDMI matrix switch is also constructed with a metal housing for durability and can be wall mounted for a clean and easy setup. It also comes with an IR receiver and remote control for easy control and manual buttons to switch between displays if necessary. Audio can either be outputted from the HDMI or through the provided analog / digital audio jack...."

==OR==

2 x 4 HDMI Switch, ZAMO 2 in 4 Out HDMI Switcher Splitter with Amplifier SPDIF Audio 3.5mm, 4 Out 2 in HDMI 2.0 Switch Splitter with Audio Extractor Support HD 4Kx2K, 3D, 1080P

I appreciate the quick response but I am a noob. My questions are more basic...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate the quick response but I am a noob. My questions are more basic...
Are your devices HDMI?

If so, the basic answer is "Yes" but you'll need either of the 2 items I mentioned to do what you want to do. You can't just "take the line from the dvr, split it and put one cable back into tv and the other cable into the new monitor" without using a similar device that I linked.

If you read the "overview" of the first link it contained a graphic (below) showing what you can do with it. Spend some time with it and it'll come to you.

HDMI-MTX-42-K4-diagram.jpg