Question about IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm helping some friends get LPR working at their campground, and picked up an IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E. I'm not seeing any LPR built into the camera itself though. Is this expected? Or am I just missing it?

I was expecting something like this:

Or this:

But I'm not finding any tabs related to LPR/ANPR.

Any tips to getting started with this using this camera?

If it requires using an external service like OpenLPR, what do people like most? And can Blue Iris do it natively? If not, what service and pricing? Ultimately I plan to put two cameras at the entrance that probably gets 200 - 300 cars passing daily. I'd like to be able to differentiate cars entering from leaving, and eventually like to be able to query any license plate for a log of their comings and goings. I'm a programmer and don't mind integrating with APIs.

And on a sidenote live video from the camera works great in Chrome with this camera, unlike the other Dahua cameras I've used (mostly the SD49225T-HN). Odd. I hope they add that to the SD49225T-HN.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Fubduck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To use the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E for ALPR you will need a 3rd party solution. Lots of people use OpenALPR, it does not integrate with Blue Iris. Blue Iris v5 will integrate with Plate Recognizer for ALPR.

I do not know what the most popular solution is, I personally use the free OpenALPR offering.
I have never used Plate Recognizer so I cannot speak to how well it works.

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Definitely a firmware issue, at least as far as rendering the webpage goes, since the webpage is stored in the firmware. But this makes me wonder if it's possible to write some HTML that would easily embed the camera live feed, both for these newer cameras that natively support it already, and for the older ones. I've done it before using a relay (I used YouTube, but there's lots of other options, and Youtube setup wasn't exactly easy), but that introduces so much lag that PTZ is mostly impossible.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
If you are a beginner start reading. Most of the answers are already here in the forum.
Then you can ask questions for guidance.
That camera has plenty of posts. You will be using OPENAlpr. I use both free version and commercial. The commercial version beats everything else out of the water, for now.
You will need to read up on IR lighting, and how to setup LPR for night time.
Lots of stuff to do before it works correctly.

Good Luck!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm helping some friends get LPR working at their campground, and picked up an IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E. I'm not seeing any LPR built into the camera itself though. Is this expected? Or am I just missing it?

I was expecting something like this:

Or this:

But I'm not finding any tabs related to LPR/ANPR.

Any tips to getting started with this using this camera?

If it requires using an external service like OpenLPR, what do people like most? And can Blue Iris do it natively? If not, what service and pricing? Ultimately I plan to put two cameras at the entrance that probably gets 200 - 300 cars passing daily. I'd like to be able to differentiate cars entering from leaving, and eventually like to be able to query any license plate for a log of their comings and goings. I'm a programmer and don't mind integrating with APIs.

And on a sidenote live video from the camera works great in Chrome with this camera, unlike the other Dahua cameras I've used (mostly the SD49225T-HN). Odd. I hope they add that to the SD49225T-HN.

Thanks for any help.

That camera does not have built in ANPR. The ones that do are a bit more pricey. OpenALPR is an option though Im not experienced with it many here are.