Question About NVR4208-4k by Dahua 8 channel NVR

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the fan which is mounted on the side of NVR4208 suppose to have air flow going into NVR or out of NVR?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Might not be the answer for you but FYI......... My Dahua NVR5416 the fan blows air out...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All equipment with active cooling has an active exhaust.. it might also have an active intake, but they are almost always passive.. if they just had air blowing inwards, with passive exhaust.. then they are doing it horribly wrong, you drop the pressure inside and encourage fresh air to enter.. not pressurize the hotair out of the inside.

my NVR4216-4k exhausts air, like it should.. but I think its out the back

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My 4208-4K has only one fan on the left side blowing air out of the unit, and one fan on top of processor which both can be seen in attached photo. I have never seen an electronic gadget with having one fan just blowing air out. I wonder if it was the engineers who decided to place the fan that way or the sellers of the product who assemble the unit in the USA. I was informed the new small white square shaped Dahua NVR run hot...there is no fan in those models.

@ Nayr, how loud is your unit? IMG_20160804_203534.jpgIMG_20160804_203534.jpg Reason I ask is the fan makes a loud noise spinning. I can hear the noise from 3 rooms away. Taking the top off reduces the noise but it's still there. If anyone is planning to purchase 4208-4k with NO POE, be aware the unit is noisy.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mine is pretty quiet, but its hidden in my server room.. last time I had powered everything in the cabinets off I turned the NVR back on first and could not hear it at all.

is it a bearing noise or something your hearing? could be a bad fan.

and you have not taken apart many electronic gadgets then, everything in my cabinet has an exhaust fan and the only one that also has intake fans is my NAS that uses them for spot cooling the hotswap HDD bays.. Ive built over 30k computers in my day, its how its done.. for proper active cooling in an enclosed space you need to create a partial vacuum, which requires more exhaust than intake if both are powered.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got a NVR5416 from Alibaba last week and it is very quiet. Like nayr said it probably is a matter of replacing a fan.
Another fan that is very cheaply made is the one in your power supply. It takes a little more surgery to replace but it can be noisy.
I also have a QSee NVR8816 that I had to change out the fans because of the noise...

Last edited by a moderator:

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No it's not a bearing noise. When the cover is off the noise is reduced...when I put the cover back on the noise increases. I don't believe engineering designed this unit to have a fan initially. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an after thought by someone. The cover has vent hole but it's not the shape of a circle. The air flow is hitting the metal cover which is bouncing back to the fan making the load noise IMO.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes from ebay. I think your are correct...the fan might be rubbing against the cover. This is a video clip of the noise,
I have to say I do like the NVR. It was almost plug and play. I didn't have to read the manual to get it connected to my local LAN. It even recognized my Hikvision cam as ONVIF. Recording and motion detection works no problem with the Hikvision cam.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That vent doesn't even match up to the fan. Are there any other vents on the case where a fan could be put...?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, it's the same on the other side.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @nayr, your NVR4216-4k is probably similar to NVR4208-4K...when you get a chance can you confirm the fan is mounted on the back of the unit? If so what shape is the vent on the back panel, is it a complete circle cut with a screen to protect from people sticking their fingers in fan?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
next time I have the opportunity I will, its hidden so well I have to unplug everything to even take a look at it.. shoudlda taken some pix when I was in there last.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @nayr, your NVR4216-4k is probably similar to NVR4208-4K...when you get a chance can you confirm the fan is mounted on the back of the unit? If so what shape is the vent on the back panel, is it a complete circle cut with a screen to protect from people sticking their fingers in fan?
You should have one fan on the back panel. That's the power supply fan.
Is that one noisy also...?

This is a pic of a case fan vent on the right side (looking from the front) of Dahua NVR5416. There's also a vent on the left side for an optional fan. Probably not the same on yours but just to give you an idea how most of them look.

nvr-fan.jpg

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Attached photo is of the back panel. There is no fan on the back panel but a fan with a heat sink on the circuit board. There is plenty of room to cut a hole on the right side of the back panel, and to install a quieter fan. That might be one of my next project.IMG_20160805_180105.jpg

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was curious as to why you were asking about a fan on the back panel...?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was curious as to why you were asking about a fan on the back panel...?
Nayr in a previous post wrote he thinks the fan in his unit is on the back panel...NVR4216-4K must be very similar to NVR4208-4K. Was wondering where the fan was mounted in the NVR4216-4K. Going to guess it has to be on the right side of the back panel because there is plenty of space for a fan back there.

I have a 10 year old HP desktop pc with a larger fan, cannot hear it spinning. Would like to get a fan similar to that one to install in NVR.