Question about NVRs and IPCs port forwarding, remote management

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
Since IPCs run on the IP protocol, it is possible to port forward individual IPCs from a few different locations from different places and then have an NVR at the main location and have the IPCs linked up and recorded there? Has anyone tried this concept before?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since IPCs run on the IP protocol, it is possible to port forward individual IPCs from a few different locations from different places and then have an NVR at the main location and have the IPCs linked up and recorded there? Has anyone tried this concept before?
I've done it successfully with Blue Iris on a central PC as my "NVR". However, this was several years ago before I was made aware of the network security risks imposed by port forwarding.

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
I've done it successfully with Blue Iris on a central PC as my "NVR". However, this was several years ago before I was made aware of the network security risks imposed by port forwarding.
What do you mean by network security risks imposed by port forwarding? Sorry I'm new to NVRs... Would also like to know what do now... Do you use NVRs in every location and port forward the NVRs instead for a CMS in a main location?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
In addition to this golden advice (thx @looney2ns!), if a "multi-site to one central site" setup is what you want, you might look into either having individual vpn clients (can run on your router) towards this central openVPN server which on his side opens all the required connections to the nvr, OR, you look into site-to-site VPN constructions with OpenVPN. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Good luck!
CC

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
Does P2P have the same security risks as port forwarding? Or is it safer?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does P2P have the same security risks as port forwarding?
Somewhat, yes.

Or is it safer?
No.

Additionally, your data is uploaded to an offshore server, usually in China, for you to download. Now they control your access and may impose fees and/or restrictions. When the P2P software was installed, do you know for certain nothing malicious was installed anywhere on your network or your smartphone?

Do you trust just anyone to have access for even just a minute to access and configure anything on your network, especially someone from China?

For me, the answer to both of the above questions is "No".

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Somewhat, yes.

For me, the answer to both of the above questions is "No".
I fully agree, however, if you want to receive push notifications on your mobile, you don't have the choice :-(