Question about oncoming headlights

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone have any tricks to combat these oncoming headlights?

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ye,s in Dahau cameras its called HLC, under the Backlight tab. Try a setting around 70 for starters.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the new HIKVISION DS-2CD2087G2-LU(2.8MM) I have been trying myself to see if I can capture Car Reg plates for a little project and even though it is completely the wrong lens I am getting some positive results, not perfect as this camera was only wanted as a Whole View to speak. Not quite there but will try more settings tomorrow.

View attachment Hikvision.20210313_220003_1.mp4
2021-03-14 03_43_29-Blue Iris.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not the same kind of scene. he has straight-on headlights, and Im not even sure he's trying to capture plates..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the new HIKVISION DS-2CD2087G2-LU(2.8MM) I have been trying myself to see if I can capture Car Reg plates for a little project and even though it is completely the wrong lens I am getting some positive results, not perfect as this camera was only wanted as a Whole View to speak. Not quite there but will try more settings tomorrow.
You certainly benefit from big @$$ plates we don't see in the US; an incredible amount of ambient light; short distances; and slower vehicle speeds that most of us do not have!

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
You certainly benefit from big @$$ plates we don't see in the US; an incredible amount of ambient light; short distances; and slower vehicle speeds that most of us do not have!
Yes our number plates are pretty large in the UK and you will be surprised how dark it is to the naked eye outside compared to the clip. I have had some pretty good results with HLC enabled and oncoming traffic at speed but primarily the camera is a wide angle view of the whole of my front view.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I played around with HLC on two cameras I have that are plagued with headlight bloom last night. It does sharpen the scene and has allowed me to increase shutter speeds from 1/60 to 1/120. My only complaint is the relatively slow response of the HLC and how it darkens the entire scene as it adjusts itself. Overall, it does help. I never even thought about using HLC at night in B&W. The learning process never ends. Thanks @bigredfish for a great tip!

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Like most things, I discovered it through dumb blind luck or lots of trial and error. :rofl:

On many of mine somewhere around 75-80 it really affects the darkness of the scene and at 50 and below it doesn’t seem to help much?. Like WDR where anything over 20 gets ugly, I only use it when I have to.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It just didn't occur to my "logical" mind that HLC would do anything at night when it's dark. Sort of counterintuitive to me at least the way my mind works(?).

Yes, I noticed the differences playing with the range. It was a little frustrating. Normally we have moderate street traffic but last night is was really quiet. Make an adjustment and wait five or ten minutes to see what it did. One camera is a 2231 and I got that one pretty much dialed in, but the 3241 was giving me fits. This morning it dawned on me why so I'll play with it some more tonight.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just ran into a brick wall with the 3241. It faces west so it gets pretty bright sky in the frame even after sundown. When day/night switched I ended up with a mostly black screen. Moving the exposure up to 1/60 didn't help. Any ideas? I'm considering changing the angle of view to cut out the sky entirely.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure I’m understanding. During the day I’d run WDR to even things out, after dark, HLC to cut the headlight glare.

Are you saying the HLC kicked in I’m night mode and made things too dark? Can you back off HLC enough at 1/60 to get a good image?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll have to wait for sunset tomorrow to check that out. I did try 1/60 and it didn't help. If I drop HLC down I get bloom and a half. HLC is at 70 now and probably could go higher still. I think re-aiming the camera will do the trick. There's too much sky in the view and that's making things tough at night. I will miss being able to watch the approaching clouds but there are other cameras that can cover that.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I have a 5442 pointing West, for about 20 min at the end of the day it white's out unless I apply so much WDR that the rest of the time it looks like child's coloring book page. But because I have enough light to keep it in color at night, the switch isnt dramatic.

HOA Entr_StreetView_main_20210314182941_@3.jpg HOA Entr_StreetView_main_20210314194658_@3.jpg