Question about what device's I can use to view cameras .

killahog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have a few questions about how to go about viewing the camera footage after installation . I am starting from scratch and I would like to have the ability to view the cameras from multiple rooms . I would like to have a dedicated screen in the office,and the ability to pull the footage from my new smart TV. I would also like to be able to pull it up on my Mac when someone is watching the TV I am confused as to how to go about connecting all of them together . Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to first decide if you are going with big box store cameras like Ring, Arlo, etc. or are you going with better cameras AKA prosumer cameras.

Then you need to decide is it one camera and you will be using the camera GUI and associated app to review or will you have multiple and be getting a VMS like an NVR or Blue Iris.

But yes it is possible, do a search here for Smart TV and the different ways folks have done it.

killahog

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan on buying prosumer grade cameras and would like to have 4 outside and one inside, the cost is really not an issue . I have. been reading about Blue Iris and don't mind buying a subscription . The one thing holding me back is not understanding how to access them once they are up and running.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI is not really a subscription. It is a purchase that gives you one year of updates with that version. At the end of the year you can either stay at the most recent update you are at or pay for another year of updates ($30ish). Many people are running version 4 (BI is on 5 right now) with no problem.

Integrated with BI is a platform called UI3 and it is a browser based viewing platform, so any device with a web browser can access it, provided you have given it access and blah blah blah LOL.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As far as I know with all of our modern tech/genius none of these companies have put a fully functioning app for any brand of smart tv. You can force it(side load) but functionality is crap. So I’d next look at if you either have the ability to get hdmi cables off a splitter to each tv or drop in a little computer at each.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As far as I know with all of our modern tech/genius none of these companies have put a fully functioning app for any brand of smart tv. You can force it(side load) but functionality is crap. So I’d next look at if you either have the ability to get hdmi cables off a splitter to each tv or drop in a little computer at each.
Or mirror your device to the Smart TV...

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or mirror your device to the Smart TV...
For sure. I just like things simple; switch from hdmi 1 to 2. I don’t have the patience to fire up apps then login then tell it to play live view.
In the next couple weeks I’m going to put second TVs in living and mbr and when I pull hdmis I’ll pull 30’ usb extensions connected for a wireless mouse in both rooms and leave those on 24/7.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it can be done. There are several different options in how to do it. Searching here will reveal the methods.

I use two older Amazon Fire tablets, and have the cameras displayed 24/7 on them simply using the Silk browser that is included with the tablet.
No switching inputs required.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, it can be done. There are several different options in how to do it. Searching here will reveal the methods.

I use two older Amazon Fire tablets, and have the cameras displayed 24/7 on them simply using the Silk browser that is included with the tablet.
No switching inputs required.
I’ll do that on occasional residential installs that have stay at home wives for the kitchen. But not having ability to display ivs rules to flash and grab attention and being so small, not to mention half those people would bitch about having to periodically reboot tablet/restart app and then restart live view.
This is one of the more famous Italian restaurants in KC and he’s an old hard ass. I made a joke in another thread about a Pure Fn Magic box. It came from here; he wanted to be able to view all 110 cameras sequencing for 8 seconds from there and 7 other remote sites without ever having to click a mouse so I joked “you want a magic box”, and he thought I was for real, “yeah, get us one!”
So I wrote a little macro to control mouse and go through all the steps upon reboot.

Attachments

killahog

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ll do that on occasional residential installs that have stay at home wives for the kitchen. But not having ability to display ivs rules to flash and grab attention and being so small, not to mention half those people would bitch about having to periodically reboot tablet/restart app and then restart live view.
This is one of the more famous Italian restaurants in KC and he’s an old hard ass. I made a joke in another thread about a Pure Fn Magic box. It came from here; he wanted to be able to view all 110 cameras sequencing for 8 seconds from there and 7 other remote sites without ever having to click a mouse so I joked “you want a magic box”, and he thought I was for real, “yeah, get us one!”
So I wrote a little macro to control mouse and go through all the steps upon reboot.
That is an interesting solution Thank you.