Question for US business owners

riggz

n3wb
Reaction score
I started a company late last year focusing on mainly camera installations, wireless networking, and other low voltage installs.

I am particularly interested in terms & conditions when quoting and billing customers. Is there a specific type of lawyer that deals with this? I want to spell out the terms of my warranty (what is covered and what isn't), terms of the invoice (when payment is due, what happens if it is late or unpaid), and cover whatever else that could legally put me in a bind (such as a disclaimer that cameras are not monitored and will not prevent theft nor call the authorities).

Any input is greatly appreciated!

ColBogey

n3wb
Reaction score
Talk to an attorney who deals with contractors. Our state requires licensure, so there is a lot of regulation surrounding it that a lawyer should be familiar with. Your state may have specific requirements for warranties.

A lot of what you ask about (terms & invoicing) is governed by the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) and any business attorney should be familiar with that. Most contract language is boilerplate and not hand-crafted, so this should not be an expensive undertaking.