Question IP camera and IP public.

DrSaturno6

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a question, can I add an IP camera. By the public ip of the camera and take it to another dvr located in another place?

NoProblems

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a question, can I add an IP camera. By the public ip of the camera and take it to another dvr located in another place?
If you're asking whether you can take an IP camera and its public IP address to another NVR at a different location and expect to use the same public IP address, the simple answer is no. Your public IP address is assigned by your internet service provider (ISP) to your router or modem, and it cannot be transferred to another location. Each router or modem has its own public IP address, which is specific to its location and cannot be reassigned by the customer.

You can move the IP camera to a different location, but the public IP address will remain tied to the original router or modem. The new location will be assigned a new public IP address by the ISP.

DrSaturno6

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're asking whether you can take an IP camera and its public IP address to another NVR at a different location and expect to use the same public IP address, the simple answer is no. Your public IP address is assigned by your internet service provider (ISP) to your router or modem, and it cannot be transferred to another location. Each router or modem has its own public IP address, which is specific to its location and cannot be reassigned by the customer.

You can move the IP camera to a different location, but the public IP address will remain tied to the original router or modem. The new location will be assigned a new public IP address by the ISP.
No, I misspoke.
Here's the thing... I have let's call it... In place “A” 4 cameras with DVR.
And in place “B”, another place... Two IP cameras with internet connection.
Those two cameras of place “B” can be added to the DVR of “place A” by means of public IP? Since they are not in the same location.
That the two cameras can be viewed and recorded on the DVR at location “A”. Or I will have to create with a VPN the same IP where the DVR is located.
Thanks for the reply!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The best way to accomplish this is to create a VPN tunnel between the two locations. This will create an encrypted tunnel that will allow you to pass data between the two locations safely. To clarify, I am not talking about paying for, or using a "free" VPN service that are advertised on the internet. What I am suggesting is a self-hosted solution that you create. Depending on your network gear (ie your router), it's likely that you can host this directly on the router.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you need fast enough internet connections to make this work. The "upload" speed of your internet at "location B" is going to be critical and is likely the limiting factor unless you have some decent internet speeds.

MTL4

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, I misspoke.
Here's the thing... I have let's call it... In place “A” 4 cameras with DVR.
And in place “B”, another place... Two IP cameras with internet connection.
Those two cameras of place “B” can be added to the DVR of “place A” by means of public IP? Since they are not in the same location.
That the two cameras can be viewed and recorded on the DVR at location “A”. Or I will have to create with a VPN the same IP where the DVR is located.
Thanks for the reply!
You'd want to use something like Wiregard, OpenVPN or similar to create a private VPN tunnel between the two sites, this would also require routers on both ends that can handle this configuration and create the tunnel. Definitely doable but need to have the right setup to pull it off.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with both above posts.

That said yes. But each remote cam would need a separate public IP