Question - New NVR

cage123au

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, so I went ahead and purchased a new NVR a few days ago to replace my aging Hikvision NVR. Replacement is another Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-I2/8P. So, I hooked it up to my home network and have assigned the new NVR with a
static IP address and can see it online via Hik-Connect as well as the older model so both show up. So I am assuming that part went well.

So...my question is this, the current 3 cameras on the old NVR, is it just a matter now of turning off the old NVR, pull out the old NVR and put the new one in, plug in the 3 cameras, turn it on and they should up on my TV monitor the same as with the old one, or do I need to do anything with the 3 cameras BEFORE putting new one in. * I purposedly made the Password the same on the new NVR as the old one * and the 3 cameras also have the same PW.

The 3 cameras attached are PTZ's (2 x DS-2DE4A225IW-DE and 1 x DS-2DE7A232MX-AE).

Do I need to save individual camera settings, if so, HOW?? or it should just work.

Any suggestions / cautions would be grateful...

Thanks
Mike

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So...my question is this, the current 3 cameras on the old NVR, is it just a matter now of turning off the old NVR, pull out the old NVR and put the new one in, plug in the 3 cameras, turn it on and they should up on my TV monitor the same as with the old one, or do I need to do anything with the 3 cameras BEFORE putting new one in. * I purposedly made the Password the same on the new NVR as the old one * and the 3 cameras also have the same PW.
In the web GUI of both the old and new NVRs, under System | Camera Configuration, note the IP addresses associated with the channels the cameras are currently connected to.

To duplicate the arrangement of the old NVR on the new one, you'll need to match up the IP addresses of the new NVR channels to those of the old NVR, and connect the cameras to the same corresponding ports.
If the camera passwords are not the same as the NVR password - you'll also need to set the actual camera password in the channel that the camera will be connected to in the new NVR.

cage123au

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@alastairstevensen First off, thank you for taking the time to respond/help. I really appreciate it, being new to this stuff.

Well, sort of got it right, I think. I started up the new NVR and was able to get the 3 cameras showing up in the Live View, so a win there.

Now I have this issue and I think it might be related to what you are discussing above. Please correct me if I am off track. I have noticed that on the old NVR the Internal NIC address was 128.100.0.1 and the cameras were on 128.100.0.2, 3, and 4. I notice that the new NVR its internal NIC is 192.168.254.1 and the cameras are all showing active on 2, 3 and 4.

On the older NVR I had managed to rtsp the live stream using rtsp:/admin:pW@192.168.20.42:554/Streaming/channels/101 via VLC and a third party program called "Channels" and see the live stream.

Now for the love of me I cannot get they cameras to rtsp stream on the new NVR even though I am using the same straing path, but changing the IP address as it is now on 53 as opposed ot before being on 42. I set the new static IP of the new NVR so it now looks like this rtsp:/admin:pW@192.168.20.53:554/Streaming/channels/101

The cameras PW's have NOT changed, the NVR both old and new have the same PW's as does the cameras. When I put the rtsp stream string into VLC without the authentication, it comes up asking for rtsp authentication, so I put in admin and the PW, it then goes to play but no stream comes up. I know I must have the right PW as I deliberatly put the password in wrong and it asked to try again, so WHY will it not stream.

So I was wondering if it had to do with what you said about the IP addresses. SO, in order for this to work again, on the new NVR do I have to change the internal NIC address to the same as the old one ie - 128.100.0.1 I have noticed that when I reboot, it goes through the setup menu again, and I do habve the option to change the Internal NIC address as it is not greyed out, but not certain of I should change.

I thought it best I ask here in case I REALLY mess things up. Bit long winded sorry.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Now I have this issue and I think it might be related to what you are discussing above. Please correct me if I am off track. I have noticed that on the old NVR the Internal NIC address was 128.100.0.1 and the cameras were on 128.100.0.2, 3, and 4. I notice that the new NVR its internal NIC is 192.168.254.1 and the cameras are all showing active on 2, 3 and 4.

On the older NVR I had managed to rtsp the live stream using rtsp:/admin:pW@192.168.20.42:554/Streaming/channels/101 via VLC and a third party program called "Channels" and see the live stream.
SNIP
That seems odd.. the old NVR and cams were: 128.100.0.1, 128.100.0.2, 128.100.0.3, etc. But you streamed via 192.168.20.42 ?

Was there two LAN NIC's in the old NVR?

Try the following for the new NVR -- rtsp:/admin:pW@192.168.254.1:554/Streaming/channels/101

cage123au

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try the following for the new NVR -- rtsp:/admin:pW@192.168.254.1:554/Streaming/channels/101
Hi, the string did not work, so I got to thinking, it has to be some other setting I am missing in the new NVR as opposed to the old one, and sure enough IT WAS.

I noticed on the old NVR I had deselected "Stream Encryption" but the new NVR still had this checked. So, I deselected, typed in my string of rtsp:/admin:pW@192.168.20.53:554/Streaming/channels/101 the 192.168.20.53 being the static IP of the NVR and Whallah, instant stream in VLC of the camera stream. Even works now in my Channels DVR as it should when you think about it.

Thank you both for assisting, the support here is great, nice to be able to chat and attempt to nut these things out.