Question on a Dell motherboard transfer

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am finally going to upgrade BI to V5 but need to I figure out my system upgrade. Lately, I am having some strange issues with BI.
I have a Dell OptiPlex 7020 with an I7 -4790 . I was looking to either transfer motherboard to a new larger case to add more drives. I have a power supply and extra drives already. My other thought was to build another box that BI can transfer into if possible. My question is will the dell MB fit into a new case with no issues, will i be able to connect my PS to it. TIA

Attachments

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not simply check the cables and connector on the power supply you have and compare them with those that the Dell has?

How many SATA connectors does that motherboard have and how many drives are you looking to add? That existing case could easily accommodate a few drives up in the top bay?

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not simply check the cables and connector on the power supply you have and compare them with those that the Dell has?

How many SATA connectors does that motherboard have and how many drives are you looking to add? That existing case could easily accommodate a few drives up in the top bay?
I opened it up looks like the dell motherboard has a 4 pin connector out of the power supply to MB, guessing that won't work, not sure about being able to bolt MB into another case. I have all the SATA ports used already. 1-c drive, 3 to the other drives. I was thinking of adding a cheap PCIe SATA card. I could sticky tape the SSD holder to the bottom of the case and add two more drives up top if I get rid of the optic drive the only hurdle I am not sure of is getting powering the two new drives

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suspect the power supply won't like a PCIe/SATA card and additional drives. Generally those supplies are built for a "normal" business environment load, not a tricked out enthusiast environment.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd suspect the power supply won't like a PCIe/SATA card and additional drives. Generally those supplies are built for a "normal" business environment load, not a tricked out enthusiast environment.
Another wrench in the plan! Maybe just buy larger drives

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's one way out. Problem there is when a big drive fails you lose an awful lot of video.

The other would be to "roll your own" so you have control of ports and power, not to mention everything else. That's the one thing that puts me off on a used business class machine. Being a tinkerer and always overdoing everything I think a used business class machine would put me in a box one size too small.