Question on iDMSS lite app

Reaction score
As I'm installing cameras I was hoping to get the app working on my local network. I'll be taking everyone's advice and setting up a VPN for remote access. I can pull up the NVR directly over wifi in my app and see a list of all the cameras installed so far. These are POE direct to the NVR. The only camera that I can get a picture on is the 4300 varifocal. The other 4 HDW4431C try to pull an image but then crashes the app. I've seen an image once or twice out of one or two of them but other than that, the app crashes every time. I made no changes after plugging the cameras in other than naming them. Any ideas?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
make sure to configure the 'extra' stream and not the main stream.. its too much video and overloading your device.. also make sure your not using h265

ive been hearing reports the latest iOS version is buggy..

Reaction score
I bumped the extra stream frame rate down to 15 from 20 fps and bitrate down to 512 and all the cameras seem to work now. Thanks!

Reaction score
Ok, cameras don't seem to be working again. Played around with setting and the app is still crashing all the time. The 4300 camera works every time. Encoding is h264. Any other ideas?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
post up screenshot of one of the crashing camera's video configs.. have you tried resetting camera to default?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reset the cameras to default settings within the camera browser. I am having the same issues you.

Today one of my cameras started crashing the app again. I had not adjusted or touched anything. Main stream data stream doesn't crash it. It can easily play the mainstreams, is a some particular setting on the substream that crashes the app consistently.

I emailed Dahua Tech support two weeks and I get no response from them. I made a post to troubleshoot this but never got enough responses to figure out what it was.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CaliGirl, have you tried any other apps? Ive used several 3rd party generic apps and had no problem getting my dahua feeds into them.. sometimes they work better for live video, but they lack playback capabilities and you'll find that a nice thing to have avilable on your mobile device.

Should hold you over until they update iDMSS, since I dont have any iDevices cant help much but tinyCamPro works well on my droids.

I used them because at first i hated that gDMSS didnt open cameras by default, but then I've came to prefer that behavior because you never know what network speeds your going to have while out and about.. if you try to load up a bunch of cameras automatically on shitty connection it just hangs everything trying to fight for lil network resources.. much easier to load up specifically what I want and screw the rest.

so for devices that are always at the house, like the tablet or TV w/good networks I use tinyCampro.. I'll play back on my computer, but my phone it rarely gets used on and I prefer DMSS

Reaction score
How do you get the third party apps to access the cameras on the NVR network? Mine are powered by the NVR POE. I used to use IP cam viewer with a single hikvision camera but couldn't figure out how to make it work with the NVR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
rtsp:///username:password@NVR-HOST:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0

channel = NVR Channel
subtype = 0 - Main Feed
subtype = 1 - Sub Feed #1
subtype = 2 - Sub Feed #2

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
CaliGirl, have you tried any other apps? Ive used several 3rd party generic apps and had no problem getting my dahua feeds into them.. sometimes they work better for live video, but they lack playback capabilities and you'll find that a nice thing to have avilable on your mobile device.

Should hold you over until they update iDMSS, since I dont have any iDevices cant help much but tinyCamPro works well on my droids.

I used them because at first i hated that gDMSS didnt open cameras by default, but then I've came to prefer that behavior because you never know what network speeds your going to have while out and about.. if you try to load up a bunch of cameras automatically on shitty connection it just hangs everything trying to fight for lil network resources.. much easier to load up specifically what I want and screw the rest.

so for devices that are always at the house, like the tablet or TV w/good networks I use tinyCampro.. I'll play back on my computer, but my phone it rarely gets used on and I prefer DMSS
I didn't know third party was an option. I thought we were locked into Dahua proprietary apps. But makes sense now, that is only for playback.

Funny thing is, I did not touch the sub stream that was crashing the app. And today the sub stream loads fine and doesn't crash. Definitely something hard to troubleshoot.

I'm looking into the 3rd part options now that you bright them to my attention. I learned you to be very careful to turn off the device wifi first, then enter the appropriate user names and passwords and info or the NVR will lock out the user in a matter of seconds while you enter the data.

The other option from Dahua is Easy4IP but it does not offer good PTZ controls and no zoom or preset capability.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find its best to setup separate logins for your NVR and Apps.. this way they wont lock each-other out, and vice versa you wont lock them out.

slowhand23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I find its best to setup separate logins for your NVR and Apps.. this way they wont lock each-other out, and vice versa you wont lock them out.
Can you please elaborate on this comment? Sorry, I'm new and just set up (2) Dahua 4431 and logged into the DMSS app with the admin log in and don't want to create a problem.

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
login to the cameras and add user account for your DMSS app, then configure your app to use that login instead of admin.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup.for example I created user for web browser login plus two tinycam pro users.a total of 3 users.in options u click on the "add user" button :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup.for example I created user for web browser login plus two tinycam pro users.a total of 3 users.in options u click on the "add user" button :)

Done! Great idea.

iDMSS lite and Plus app crashing like crazy today trying to load the cameras. Nothing has been adjusted on the cameras. Significant issues with the iOS app.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many minutes do u stay on the idmss app before it crashes?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wow i need to upgrade my device.the app on iphone7 launches quick.id send dahua an email each day till they fix that :p