Question on IVS and SMD difference between them and applications

Daniele

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently bought a Dahua NVR NVR4416-4KS2/I along with a couple of IP camera HFW3441T-ZS. Both are equipped with IVS and SMD Plus.

First of all I have noticed that in the camera SMD Plus is enabled by default.

The reason why I am asking for help is because it is not clear to me the difference between IVS and SMD.

I know that SMD has been developed to identify humans and vehicles filtering false alarms due weather and pets. I also know the thanks to IVS you can define some rules, like tripwire and intrusions that generate alarms.

What is not clear to me is when IVS has to be used and on the contrary when SMD has to be used instead of IVS. In what application/context it is better to use an ISV rule and in what one it is better to rely on SMD?

Secondly it is not clear to me if ISV can work together SMD or not.

I have started defining some ISV rules in the NVR and they seem to work even if sometimes I get a false alarm due to a cat wandering around. So my doubt is, could I filter some false alarms that's to SMD together ISV?

Thanks for helping,
Daniele

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For most IVS is better. It allows better granular level setup and processing.

You also want to take the cameras off of auto/default settings in order to get the most success from the AI.

You want to do one or the other. Using IVS and SMD will cause issues.

See this thread from just this week where we discuss the two:

Reaction score
IVS and SMD are fairly similar and can achieve similar results. They both have their pros and cons, but I would agree with wittaj that IVS tripwires are generally the most useful.

In my experience doing troubleshooting for Dahua OEM cameras using IVS and SMD simultaneously is perfectly ok. In fact, one configuration I find useful is if you want to configure several different periods during the day to receive notifications. For instance, if you wanted to get notifications from your gate all day to see if anyone was entering the property, but only notifications on your yard at night because your kids play there during the day. There is no way to do this with just one method, as you can only define one schedule per notification type.

In general, IVS is better for monitoring certain pathways and property lines. SMD is a good catch-all if you want to see what's going on all the time, or don't want to bother configuring IVS. The AI IVS rules will also categorize humans and vehicles, there isn't much of a difference there.

Either is fine, I would start with one and see what your results are. Then you might want to fine-tune it or switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my experience doing troubleshooting for Dahua OEM cameras using IVS and SMD simultaneously is perfectly ok. In fact, one configuration I find useful is if you want to configure several different periods during the day to receive notifications. For instance, if you wanted to get notifications from your gate all day to see if anyone was entering the property, but only notifications on your yard at night because your kids play there during the day. There is no way to do this with just one method, as you can only define one schedule per notification type.
You can also set up mutliple IVS rules and schedule per IVS rule to accomplish this.