Question on SmartPSS

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance on all this but I have a basic question on how this works.
Even after reading I'm confused........as my wife and kids like to point out :)

I have 5 IPC-HDW5231R-Z all working fine with different ip addresses. They are hooked into a poe switch and all of this hooked into my Netgear AC1900 router.
I have a Seagate mobil backup drive connected to the USB port on the router. (4TB)
I plan on getting the VPN setup this weekend because I will be gone most of the year from location.

My question is can the cameras capture images and send them to the Seagate when they are tripped by motion detection?
OR
Do I have to have a computer or nvr running.

I can manually capture images and video by going to each camera or by using the SmartPSS software. Just need to understand how it all works.

Thanks, Pete

Reaction score
Probably the simplest way to capture images and not have to worry about all that other stuff is to use microSD cards in each camera. That way, even if your network has connectivity or power issues, your cameras will still capture/store images locally. For the power issue, just make sure you have the POE/POE+ switch drawing power from a beefy UPS.

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks weigle2!

I did that yesterday and can take snapshots manually from the cameras own software which are sent to the SD card. I can see the used space on the card change when I take the snapshots but the software will not show the pictures. I did notice that when sending them to the network drive the pictures were a bitmap (.bmp) format and the viewing section on the software only lets you choose either .dav or .jpg formats. Driving me nutz!
I spent all day yesterday trying to get the camera with it's own software to trigger and take snapshots but I'm missing something in the setup.

Pete