Question on Tendelux BI18

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am progressing on my project to video more of the critters in the woods. To that end, today I added 4 IR illuminators (2 BI8's and 2 BI18's) on a tree 90 feet from my 1st camera:

1583110104149.png

There will be two more camera added here on the currently blanked off boxes. My apologies to those who notice the wires from the lights kind of just hanging. I was working in 26 deg temps to get this done :( It will be a job for a warmer day (along with pulling the CAT6 cable and crimping connectors).

I bring 48 volts to that converter mounted on the side of the large box. It supplies 12 volts to my lights and future cameras. The problem I have is the BI18's don't turn on. . . I anxiously waited as the sun went down and sure enough the BI8's came right on. The only thing I can think of is the light from the smaller units, although pointed in different directions, is affecting the larger ones.

I can't believe that its an electrical issue as I took pigtails for each light and soldered them together and each light is plugged into a pigtail mating connector. So I'd like to tape over the photo detector as a test. Problem is I have had these lights long enough in the basement that the manuals must have been canned (what can you possibly need a manual for?). I can't find a manual online. Does anyone know where the detector is located on the face of the unit. On the step ladder I couldn't tell.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Should be on the under belly of the face. The instructions say to keep the sensor out of direct sunlight and suggest to keep the sensor on the bottom of the unit facing down. If that makes sense.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Should be on the under belly of the face. The instructions say to keep the sensor out of direct sunlight and suggest to keep the sensor on the bottom of the unit facing down. If that makes sense.
Thanks coney27, They are all tilted down but where on the bottom is the sensor? I just assumed it was on the face. Maybe it is on the bottom edge and I just didn't notice. It will have to wait a couple of days for me to get back up there - I should be thawed by then.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one at home I'll take a picture when I get back.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is the sensor that reads if it is dark enough to illuminate the ir. The manufacturer says the sensor needs to be face down and out of direct sunlight
20200302_000309.jpg

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is the sensor that reads if it is dark enough to illuminate the ir. The manufacturer says the sensor needs to be face down and out of direct sunlight
View attachment 56590
Thanks, I see it. Its definitely out of the sun's view in my installation. Tomorrow I will get back up there and tape them off to see if they turn on.

Thanks again!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I'd like to tape over the photo detector as a test.
FWIW, in the future should you want the illuminator to come on earlier/stay on later, you can partially block the sensor with that same black electrical tape to fool it into thinking it's darker than it is. You would have to place it, see how it performs, move it as necessary. When it's where you want it, mark it or take a picture then use a new piece of tape with trimmed edges and place it where it worked best. Being on the underside it should last quite a while.

The NEMA twist-lock PEC (photoelectric cells) atop street lights have "North" and an arrow cast into the plastic and a rotating socket for aiming the PEC to get the optimum burn time for the lamp. On occasions we used 3M 33+ electrical tape over the sensor's clear window to make it more sensitive when taller building windows or water ponds reflected the rising or setting sun into it, skewing the lamp "on/off" time. When just right we'd make the adjustment more permanent with opaque plastic and epoxy.

This was done on later, less expensive PEC's, as earlier units that cost more and performed better...and had a metal sliding gate behind the sensor window to make those sensitivity adjustments without tape.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR! I was going to try some opaque material like silicone rubber - i thought about tape but don't know how long it will stay there

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update - tonight they turned on :) don't know why, I didn't do anything but they are all on. From what I can see I definitely need to adjust the angle on them all. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!