Question on using BlueIris on a local network with no internet.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you all are well.

I have been a long-time user of Blue Iris. I have used it on my main rig for most of the time. Recently though that rig died and I decided to buy a dedicated server for Blue Iris. This unit is headless and is basically accessed via remote. When I had BI on my rig, I was able to access BI, or at least it would still send notifications and I could view the cameras via the BI app when there was no internet. I only had to be on the local network where BI was located. With the new system, all my cameras sit on a separate network via a switch and POE injectors. Only the PC can access the cameras directly. Then I have a separate LAN card that goes to the main network where everything sits. BI is set to use this LAN as the main network for BI to push to the internet and local network. It works perfectly internet and local when there is an actual internet connection. Last night there was an internet outage with Comcast and although my cameras still record, I could not access them.

What should I be doing to allow BI to be accessed on a local network without an internet connection. Ironically, I can still control my lights via local network with no internet connection, but BI I cannot do it anymore with this new system. Could it be a firewall issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
In addition to the suggestion from @TonyR, any chance you can connect a monitor to the BI machine to ensure it is functioning properly?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Follow these directions and you should be golden.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How were you accessing Blue Iris during the internet outage?

If you access via a URL that needs DNS service to resolve (like a dynamic DNS hostname) then you can expect the connection to fail while the internet is unavailable.

If you access via the BI machine's LAN IP address, then it should continue to work unless the router's DHCP service is interrupted during an internet outage and your BI machine lost its DHCP lease. If this was the problem, it can be solved by assigning a static IP or by getting a better router that doesn't lose local services when the internet is unavailable.