Question regarding Hikvision NVR's - The DS-77 vs DS76 w/ Analitics

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
I am strongly put off by the complexities and intricacies involved in building a Blue Iris NVR. I realize this is the favored path for most given the amount of customization that can be achieved, however I have decided that the best fit for me would be a stand alone NVR. All of my cameras are Hikvision, so I am looking at pulling the trigger on either: A) The DS-7716NI-I4/16P or B) The DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/4S

So my question is, does any one have any experience with either of these Hikvision NVR's and are they worth the money, especially those purchased on the "gray market" ?
The DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/4S can decode and display all 16 channels simultaneously, while the DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/4S states only 12, I cannot find any answers as to why the other 4 channels, presumably those running the analytics cannot be shown all at once.

My major needs for this system is to be able to have all the cameras displayed one one monitor 24/7. I also want the video to be displayed on other TV's through out the house.
Based on other posts in this forum, the best way to achieve this is with a simple HDMI splitter, and HDMI over CAT5 video senders, using a high quality shielded cable.
I need to add future PTZ cameras, one thing I loved about the old analog systems is the desktop joy-stick keyboards that provide a high degree of accuracy when maneuvering the camera to track vehicles and persons. I see Hikvision makes some keyboards but I have not even began to research what is involved in setting that up. Based on my understanding, the keyboard is simply a network device that is accessing the cameras stream as would the NVR or desktop client.

Any insight and recommendations are highly appreciated.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had DS-7616NXI-I2/4S without POE and this model didn't allow me to live stream in Web Browser (without Plugins).
I tested Safari/Chrome/Firefox (latests versions). I contacted HIK dealer but they didn't help me...
I tried to update firmware - but this product don't have any new firmware for almost one year.
It looks like abandoned product.

Also the AcuSense human/vehicle detecting didn't worked well on no AcuSense cameras for me.
It generated a lot of false positives on palm trees in wind. AcuSense G2 cams worked much better.

Finally I exchanged this NVR for classic DS-7616NI-I2 (without AcuSense).
It worked much better, working live view in all browsers, firmware updates with a new functions, much more config options in menu.

When I opened both NVR's to move HDD's from one to second I saw that normal and AcuSense versions are exactly the same mainboard with the same SOC (CPU). The only one difference was that in AcuSense version there was a small second motherboard with one extra small chip connected using 10 metals pins to main one...

It looks that that AcuSense have the same CPU power which must use for AcuSense filtering / functions - so some classic functions are excluded in firmware (web access without plugins, less live view decoding capability, some missing functions)...

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey thanks for taking the time to reply. Where did you buy it from? An authorized hik dealer or "gray market"?
How many cams did you have hooked up to it, and did you ever have any issues with lag, dropped frames etc.. during live view and recording?
My main concern is being able to display all the cameras on one monitor at once in live view, as well as true 4k recording.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I didn't use HIK NVR via HDMI, only via Web Browser / Mac / iPhone software...

I had many problems with HIK (G2 AcuSense cams with very bad image at night, newest HIK intercom which didn't work standalone and didn't support SIP / ONVIF, many integration problems with NVR)...

Finally I returned everything and switched to Dahua.. Much better platform...

I Bought over internet from official reseller in Poland.

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
Which Dhaua NVR are you using now? Any problems so far when live viewing/playback ?
Also when they say "supports Up to 8 or 12 MP Resolution" What does that mean exactly?
Does it mean each camera you use cant be over 8/12 mp, or the total ammount of cameras cannot exceed 8/12mp ?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use 5216-4KS2.. No problems... My cameras are mainly 4MP - Dahua 5442 series with varifocal lens and Starlight+ 1/1.8" sensor...

My two main requirements were: good night performance (especially in Full Color) and good AI Analytics to filter people/vehicle movement..
Both are provided by this model of Dahua..

I tested 8MP HIK Acu Senses G2 - but this was nightmare for night performance..
From many tests even on this forums I known now that 8MP even with big 1/1.8" sensor (Dahua have some models like this, HIK also) don't provide good nigh performance - 4MP on good 1/1.8" sensor is sweet point now... Best ratio of video quality&details at day vs night performance.

If You want more details (like people faces or car plate numbers) You should use optics zoom and record smaller record view. No big 110-120 degree of field of view (like in 28mm optics) but smaller like 20-40-60 to have bigger objects in recorded video... 8/12MP don't resolve problems of small faces/plates in recorded video... zoomed optics does...

Information: supports to 12MP means that NVR can access/record/display/search feed which is 12MP... Many feeds...

But there is also maximum Decoding capability which is 16x2MP (1080p)/8x4MP/4x8MP (4K) - so You can display on NVR (over HDMI) only 4 feeds of 8MP (4K). And probably only 2 of 12MP. You can record more (for recording on HDD's there is no decoding required). If You want to display more high resolution cams on NVR, You can decode secondary streams (D1 resolution like 700x480) - but quality is worse...

Also all NVR's (from HIK/Dahua) have specified limits for bandwidth - how much bandwidth per second can be stored by NVR and how much bandwidth per second can be streamed to clients (mobile/desktop apps).. Both PRO models from HIK and Dahua have the same limit: 320 mbit/s... So for 16 cams it means 20 mbit per cam - using h.265+ this is no problem.

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
I 100% Agree. I only purchased 2x 4K 8mp cameras which will be used to give a full view of the back of my yard.
The other cameras will cover the specific scenes (ex. entry way, driveway, front door, street corner etc..)
Personally I am not sold on the color night vision. The problem is the reduction in frame rate. I prefer to be able to see the subject or vehicle moving in greater detail.

Did you ever have bandwidth problems ? Ford example if I connect all 16 cameras mostly 4mp but some 8mp recording 30fps and 2 60fps for vehicle detection, do you think the NVR can handle it ?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No... My cams use H.265+, VBR, highest quality settings and 8 mbit/s bandwidth limit (so maximum)... In normal situations cam generate about 2-3 mbit/s of stream (depend of cam, weather, day/night situation, people/vehicle movement)...

2-3 mbit/s multiple 16 is 32-48 mbit = it's 10-15% of maximum bandwidth (320 mbit on PRO line NVR from HIK/Dahau)...
So You have a bandwidth to stream this to multiple clients...

I don't have a problems with reduction of frame rate. Area around my house have a lots of old type street lamps - very good color image even at 1/50 exposure time (no blur for moving people) and WDR...
Of course I have some locations where is dark - then IR kick in and I have only BW image...