Questions about alerts

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Up until today, I've avoided using alerts under the record tab of each camera. Thus, my alerts directory, and list of alert clips on the web browser have always been empty.

Today I turned the feature on (by editing the property of each camera and ticking the alert box). Now I have an entire day's worth of alerts to see in the web browser under alerts. However, the alerts directory (the one specified under global options, clips and archiving, folders) is still empty. Should I not be seeing jpgs populate that folder? Where else could they be? I've restarted the server, rebuilt the DB and yet, I cannot find a single jpg in the BI directories or NAS. I'm confounded. Did the alerts saving mechanism change to where a JPG is no longer saved in the alerts folder?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think I may have answered my own question... According to the help file:

Snapshots

The option to Create an Alert image when triggered will save a low-resolution JPEG snapshot to the database whenever the camera is triggered. If a video is open for recording at that time, an offset into the file is also noted so that when this image is later viewed, it ill take you directly to the point of interest in the video. These are the images that will appear in the mobile client Alerts list. If you further select the option to Always create hi-res JPEG, a full-resolution file is saved to the Alerts folder.

In addition to video clips and Alert images, there's also and option to Create a JPEG snapshot on a timed basis. This will periodically save a still JPEG image to your New clips folder. Additionally, you may choose for this to happen only while the camera is triggered.
So, none of my cameras have the option to "Always create hi-res..." What is weird though, is that when I restarted the BI server, it created a single JPG in my alerts folder for one of my cameras. When I restarted it again, it created another jpg - from yet another camera. It would appear that when you restart the service, it glitches and saves a single jpg, despite that option not being turned on. Odd.