Questions about CAT5e vs 6, connectors and such...

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to installing network cables for my cameras. I planned to run Monoprice CAT6, but seem to have a hard time finding RJ45s that will accept 23awg that aren't so expensive. I don't think CAT6 is really necessary for individual 2/3mp cameras so I was considering CAT5e instead. It would also cost like half as much.

So basically, is CAT5e acceptable for 2/3mp PoE cameras? Or is there an advantage to using CAT6 for this purpose?

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't think these CAT-6 RJ-45's from monoprice were expensive, about 14 cents apiece.

So basically, is CAT5e acceptable for 2/3mp PoE cameras? Or is there an advantage to using CAT6 for this purpose?
IMO, CAT-5e is OK for your current requirement; I would only consider 23 AWG CAT-6 if you had a very high current draw POE device located over 200 feet from the PSE.

In either event, insure you get solid copper, no CCA......not an issue with monoprice.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In most cases there isn't going to be an advantage to Cat6 for IP camera runs.

However, the usually thicker wire of Cat6 could be a benefit on long PoE runs (less voltage drop). And, it has a little more room for growth in terms of supporting faster connection over a bit longer distance. If, for example, you were going to try 10Gb/s over copper it will go a bit farther than 5e. However, on a camera run, heck, I don't know if anything out has higher than 100Mb/s port (or, frankly, maybe not even higher than 10Mb/s in many cases; guess I never checked what they are LOL).

For me, I had most of a 1000-ft box of Cat5e on hand so that is what I'm using for all my camera runs. I'm not concerned that it will be any sort of hinderance/roadblock.