Questions on resetting Chinese cameras

klatch

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying some Hikvision cameras and am seeing that the Chinese cameras that have multilanguage firmware put on them can't be updated, which is fine (I guess), but I'm also seeing some statements on some that if they are reset then they will go back to Chinese settings - I'm assuming that means resetting to factory defaults or something? Is this actually an issue or am I able to reset to factory defaults if I happen to make a mess of the settings? Is it worth it to just try and get English ones?

Also, any help to decide between turret and bullet would be appreciated. I'm expecting it to be up high to view front door and driveway. I may get the NVR or whatever it is called later, but will probably use it stand alone for now.

Thanks in advance. I have some cheap trendnet IP cameras that I use with tablets to monitor my young children, but they aren't the complexity level that this will be.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depending where you are it might be better to just get WR versions. I stopped recommending Chinese Hikvision cameras a while ago, there are newer ones that are cheaper now which almost made me change my mind but if you're getting Chinese then you're better off with Dahua IMHO.

I personally prefer turrets to bullets (less spider webs and better IR) but there are places I prefer bullets to turrets (aesthetics and deterrence).

If you haven't yet, then you might want to check out Dahua 4421.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I reset the config on my Chinese (hacked to English) cameras without problems. Just don't update the firmware/TFTP it.