Quick question about IR vs no IR with example pic

thomaswde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First one is IR off porch lights only. Second one is IR on, porch lights still on. IR being on seems to add a lot of haze to the image. Is this typical and if not where should I start looking to hopefully correct it?
I was pleasantly surprised (although I shouldn't have been given the model) how well it performs at night without IR and only three 4w LED porch lights. Camera is a Dahua Starlight varifocal turret. To make this as controlled as possible I've got my IR emitters on my other cameras off for both examples.

NoIRPorchOn.PNG IRon.PNG

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With IR off and porch lights on, I think if you reduce contrast a bit & increase brightness a bit, you will see slightly more of the darker areas.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It's the porch lights. They can do odd stuff to an IR image at certain angles. You can try different bulbs and light output but you'll probably find it easiest to keep your IR off on that camera- especially if other cameras IR helps out a little. The porch light off I figure isn't an option. Since it's a varifocal, you can try pushing the zoom closer to the driveway and see if it helps any with the porch light on. But every camera you can get to give a great image without IR on is a win, so don't feel bad. It helps in fog, rain, snow, and helps alleviate spider webs. The fist image is a fine one. Run with it.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Of course. That should be understood by now. Regardless of the lighting factor, studying video playback will probably make it clear that there's little hope of ID with that shot either. Tighter zoom is in order, which may solve light bleed as well.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am achieving similar results with the same camera in one of my locations. I'm curious if you zoom the camera all the way out, can you see any of your soffit in the image? I believe the IR bouncing off my soffit is causing the IR fog. Haven't had a chance to move it yet.