Quick Question...why would one ever need/want a PTZ?

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not in the market for one...but it just occurred to me. What would be a use-case scenario for an outdoor PTZ camera? (not including commercial applications here)

In my mind, the cameras are sending their stream back to a recording system. If there is a trigger, the clips are stored and notifications go out.
Are home users wanting to be able to log in remotely and then actually start PTZ'ing the camera to look around? Wouldn't this indicate a lack of proper camera coverage to begin with?

....just curious.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still learning but my take would be this. I have one PTZ in the front of my house currently and it's primarily aimed at the front covering the circular driveway and the general entrance to the garage and front door (left right). I have two PTZ locations saved. The primary view and a "package" view so that if I need to check if packages were delivered I hit that preset and the camera will show me the front porch and the area behind the bushes where packages are generally left (love my delivery folks). I can't see that area with the main view.

Once I add additional cameras though I will probably never use the PTZ again.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have a ptz, but IMO theres a fun factor involved with them. I would imagine you are better off with fixed views unless someone is manning the ptz all day. They have auto tracking ptz's but I keep reading that they don't work so well.
Now auto-tracking would certainly be cool! If that actually worked really well and the camera didn't cost a bazillion dollars, I'd be interested in having probably one.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think auto-tracking would be cool also however it would likely be very situational (ie you'd need to exclude roads/etc) and if there's a LOT of motion... I'd wonder how that would affect the longevity of the camera. I could see it being useful for covering a situation like I have at home where the camera would only move for "traffic" on my drive and up to my door.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There just fun. I have 3 auto tracking and 2 regular ptz. The auto's scan around presets unless there tracking. I have fixed cams everywhere and each 1 that is within sight off ptz will send a command when there's motion, To 1 or more of the ptz's causing that cam to zoom to that area. Really neat on what you can have them do with triggers from others.