Quick question..

Jay123

n3wb
Reaction score
hello im new to the forum, hope you are all well.

My question is, is it regarded a bad job if you clip cable externally upto the soffits? Obviously it willl be straight and neat Reason im asking the job i will be doing the camera is near the bathroom so i obviously cant drill straight into the wall and it wont be cost effective to run the cable around the whole of the house so i was thinking straight up into the soffit then into loft

Thanks in advanced

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The best jobs don't expose any cable, of course. Whether it is bad or not to run the cable externally is up to the owner (you?) and has no impact on the functionality of the system. Some possible exceptions are HOA rules, or if you are concerned the cable would be pulled on by children or cut by a bad guy with a knife.

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even if the cable was out of reach?
Your cable is too short? What system do you have? So run cable along soffit until you get to the wall that's nearest the next cable connection. Then from attic, go down between studs to your NVR/POE switch. You will have to drill/notch the between-stud fire block.

Last edited:

Jay123

n3wb
Reaction score
SOrry i mean would it be necessary to run cable in counduit even though the cable was 20ft high so thieves couldnt potentially cut it

Jay123

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok but do you think clipped neatly to a wall is acceptable or should you ALWAYS aim to have cable hidden?

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both, but the best is to run it in the attic and drop down between walls. If you drop the line on an outside wall, someone can chop it with a machete.